Chapter 5: Daddy's Home

John looked at his kids. "Dean. Look, this isn't how I wanted Lexie or Sammy to see me. I'm doing what I have to do. To keep everyone safe."

This pissed Dean off. "Don't call them that."

"Excuse me?" John asked.

Dean swung on his dad. Dwight pulled a gun on Dean causing Sam, Lex and Bobby to pull their guns as well. Lex had a gun drawn on her by Simon and this drew John's attention. He was holding his jaw from Dean's swing. "Simon! Dwight! Lower your goddamn guns! These are my kids." They look at Negan before lowering them. "Dean, Sam, Lex, Bobby. Why don't us and your friends," John gestures to Cas and Jack. "Have a quick chat?"

They walk towards the house and John shuts the door. Bobby is quick to get head to head with him. "Since when does John Winchester work with others?"

"Let alone let them do the dirty work." Sam whispers to Lex, still upset over their dad. Lex places her hand on Sam's shoulder.

"Dad, what are you doing here? Didn't you die saving me?" Dean asks. "And thanks for telling us about Adam."

John looks at him. "Adam? Is he here?"

"Of course he'd care more about baseball boy." Lex said this time Sam comforts her. Adam had gotten a normal life before meeting them. John had dumped Lex onto Sam and Dean after she was left on his hotel doorstep by her mom. Jack held her close to him.

"Who are you, boy?" John asked Jack. Jack tilts his head and looks at Lex.

"That's Jack." Dean answered and looked at Cas. Cas had moved his glaring to John's hand from his head. "And that's Castiel. Jack's a nephilim and Cas is an angel."

"Angel? Boy, those don't exist. In all my years..."

"Well, Dad. You don't know half the shit we've dealt with!" Lex raised her voice to their dad for the first time ever. "Jack and Cas are angels and why is that so hard to believe?" She asked, raising her arms, careful to not accidentally hit Jack. "I mean come on, our friends are being torn apart by zombies! And before this hellhounds, demons, wendigos. At least we have them to help protect us." Jack placed a hand over her arm. "Jackie, I'm fine.' She said softly, turning to him. She glares at her dad. "Just tired of him treating us like we're second class citizens."

"Lex. I've never once treated you like you were second to me."

"Dad, we all know that's a lie." Dean said, taking his sister's side.

"How are you here?" Dean said.

John sighs, "I don't know. I was in hell when suddenly I was in a field. I had woken up and tried to find something. I saw someone. Tried asking for directions and the fucker tried to take a bite." He looks between everyone. "I met a lady she took me in, Lucille. I fell in love with her. She had cancer, needed chemo. I had scavenged for chemotherapy equipment and taught myself to administer it. Nearing the end of Lucille's treatment, the last of her chemotherapy was ruined due to me forgetting to turn the generator back on before we went to sleep." He looks down. "I ventured out to go find some for her, despite her insistence not to. She saw herself as a burden, she killed herself." He looked up. "Look, I know it's not an excuse. Before I fell for her, I was only going to stay for a few days to figure out what was going on and try and find you guys. Then I found out about her cancer and couldn't leave her."

Sam's eyes softened. "Dad..."

"I hadn't felt that way about someone since your boys' mother." Lex's anger flared up. Had he just forgotten about her mom.

"Great!" She yelled, shocking everyone. "Guess everyone gets a happy ending. Not like you'd ever pretend to care about my mom or Kate. They just left you with unwanted responsibilities. Adam and me, right?" Her eyes harden on her dad. "But at least Adam got birthdays. All I got was 'Lex, stop being a baby and kill it.'" She turned away and ran up the stairs. She heard the door open and heard Rick and the two male that were with her dad. She slammed the door to her room and decided to go to bed to avoid her father and her feelings.