After lunch with her sister and brother-in-law, Alex took her to the house to see their dog whom she hadn't seen in a while, and also, surprise her with the nursery that he'd finished.

"Okay when we get upstairs, you have to close your eyes,"

"Why?" Grace asked as they walked into the garage.

"It's a surprise Grace," he chuckled, unlocking the door.

"Let me in. I wanna see my boy," she grinned, walking in to their dog rushing up to her with a happy, wagging tail. "Hi, buddy,"

Grace pet Finn for a minute before it was time to see their nursery.

"Come on. Upstairs. I have something to show you,"

"Okay," she nodded, "come on bud,"

The dog ran up the steps before them, stopping at the top as Grace made her way up slowly.

"So what's up here?" She asked, looking at Alex as he came up behind her.

"I have a surprise for you," he smiled, walking toward the door that they'd decided what room their baby would live in.

"You didn't?" She asked, wondering if he'd finished the nursery.

"When you're bored and your wife isn't home to keep you company, you get things done,"

She smiled and opened the door, looking at the cotton candy sky room. The different shades of purple, pink, and blue complete with the white clouds made it the perfect room for their baby boy or girl.

"Alex this is beautiful," she beamed as her eyes welled up with tears. "It's perfect,"

"I was hoping you'd like it,"

"I love it," she grinned, hugging him tightly. "It's perfect,"

"I still have the furniture to build but I was thinking the crib goes against the back wall and we can put a rocker in the corner," he said as he pointed out where he thought he would put things.

"Put the dresser over here by the closet? Put the changing area on it?" Grace asked, stepping into the room as she envisioned how it would be set up.

"Put some pictures up. Put their name over the crib. It'll be perfect,"

"It will be," she nodded, before going back down the steps and taking a little bit more time with the dog.

They went back to the hospital after another hour and she was back in her room where she'd be checked over several times by doctors and nurses who were taking care of her and her baby.

——————

Over the next few weeks, Alex wrecked out at Michigan getting a 33rd place finish, a 5th place finish at the Indianapolis road course, 23rd at Watkins Glen, and 6th at the season finale Daytona race.

They only had a few more days before their baby was due to be born by c-section. They had planned it for the week of Darlington so that Alex could still race in the playoffs but it was a close race so he could be home as soon as he was done.