11. coffees and confessions

𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨

Chapter 11: Coffees and Confessions

The fire alarm going off in the fourth-floor flat was the first thing that woke up the 2 girls and Ishan. The 3 exited their rooms and went out to see what happened when they saw Dev waving a cloth near the alarm and the other areas to make the smoke go away while Arjun threw the pan into the sink before opening the tap and letting the water cool it. 

Ishan stood there with his hands on his waist while Rhea sat on the couch nearly dozing off again. Simran meanwhile leaned against the kitchen counter trying to figure out what had happened. She wasn't wearing her glasses at the moment so it was a little blurry, but she could see.

Dev and Arjun turned to look at their friends with a sheepish smile as Arjun scratched the back of his neck. "We tried to make breakfast but ended up burning the food," Dev answered making Simran and Ishan sigh. 

Simran waved them off before walking away to wake up Rhea who had dozed off again while Ishan ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head. "You guys are okay though right?" he asked as the 2 other boys nodded.

The group then dispersed to their respective rooms to get ready for their classes. At 8: 10 a.m. or something they gathered in the living room, ready to face the day. 

Ishan was wearing a simple blue and white striped shirt along with jeans and sneakers, while Dev was wearing a black hoodie and jeans and his shoes. Arjun was wearing a graphic t-shirt and cargo jeans along with Converse. Rhea was wearing a crop top and jeans along with her Chelsea boots whereas Simran wore a t-shirt and flannel along with jeans and sneakers. 

"So, we're gonna survive the following years with Dev's cooking?" Ishan asked sitting on the couch beside Simran, who was scrolling through her timetable. "I doubt it, Ish. We won't last a week," she joked making Rhea laugh. 

"Hey, my cooking is absolutely fine. Today just wasn't my day," he mocked feigning offence making Arjun clap him on the back.

"Relax mate. We're just pulling your leg," he answered making Dev roll his eyes. "Okay so I just texted Gayathri, and she informed me that they are ready too. So, we can head to the cafe close by and have breakfast," Rhea answered.

"Where we won't burn down the kitchen," Simran teased. The 5 then took their bags and headed outside as Ishan locked the door before they joined their other five friends downstairs. 

It was a 5-minute walk to the cafe, and the bell chimed as they walked in. They all decided to get a cup of coffee each and some light breakfast. They placed their orders and as they waited, they decided to sort out their classes for the day. 

"So, Sim and I have Sports psychology first at 9:30," Ishan spoke going through the timetable. "We have UI/UX," Dev muttered as Gayathri and Karan nodded.  "Product here," Laila answered as Pavitr nodded. "Order for table 29!" the barista exclaimed, and Dev turned his head. He and Karan went to grab the drinks while Rhea and Tanya went to get their breakfast. 

"Look at Dev. Staring at Tanya like she's the only person in the room," Ishan whispered in Simran's ear making her turn to look at Dev who was getting the coffee. She saw Dev nearly spill the coffee on someone while staring at Tanya making her gasp. "Idiot is smitten," Pavitr muttered making Simran and Gayathri laugh.

As they have their food, while chatting Ishan nudges Simran making her look at him. "Look at him," Laila muttered making Simran glance at Dev. His coffee cup was empty, but his food was still on the plate, barely touched. She saw how he was listening to Tanya, who was speaking about her band back at school. 

"Buddy, you haven't even eaten yet. We have class make it quick," Arjun spoke making Dev break out of the trance. "Oh fuck, yeah," he muttered making the others laugh.  Dev while eating his food felt his phone notification go off making him glance at it.

1 message from Simran

Mate, do you have an eye for someone? Someone, I suppose who loves playing drums?

He looked up to see Simran who raised her eyebrows while she took a sip of her drink. Dev then glanced at Tanya who sat opposite him before texting back.

Yeah

After texting back, he closed his mobile when he glanced at Simran who nearly choked on her drink while Ishan glanced at her to see if she was alright while Dev chuckled. The atmosphere at the table shifted slightly as Dev's admission hung in the air, mingling with the aroma of coffee and the clinking of cutlery. Simran's eyes widened in surprise, her gaze flitting between Dev and Tanya, who seemed engrossed in her conversation with Gayathri.

"Oh, mate, you're in deep waters now," Simran mutters as Dev grins sheepishly. "Tell me about it."

"Well, at least now we know why you were staring at her like she's the eighth wonder of the world." Ishan chuckles making Dev roll his eyes. "Okay, okay, lay off. I didn't plan on spilling my heart out over breakfast."

 "Looks like someone's got a crush." Rhea teases making Dev answer playfully, "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up."

The group shared a round of laughter, the tension easing as they resumed their breakfast. Simran, unable to resist a bit of teasing, nudged Dev with her elbow. "So, what's your game plan, Casanova?" She asks grinning making him roll his eyes once again. 

"Very funny, Sim. As if I have a game plan," he answers.  "Well, you better come up with something quick. Can't have you pining away while Tanya's clueless." Simran smirks. 

"Oh, I've got plenty of charm up my sleeve. Just you wait and see." Dev with mock seriousness answers making her raise her eyebrows. "I'm sure you do, Romeo."

The banter continued, the group enjoying the light-hearted moment amidst the hustle and bustle of the cafe. Meanwhile, Dev's mind raced with thoughts of how to navigate this newfound crush without making a fool of himself.

As they finished their breakfast and prepared to head to their respective classes, Dev couldn't shake the nervous flutter in his stomach. With a deep breath and a newfound determination, he resolved to face the day ahead, armed with a newfound sense of purpose and a touch of bravado.

With their bellies full and their spirits high, the group bid farewell to the cozy cafe, ready to tackle whatever challenges the day had in store for them. And for Dev, amidst the laughter and chatter of his friends, there lingered a spark of hope and the tantalizing possibility of a budding romance.