8)A Warning

A/N
"Mad World" by Gary Jules
***

Elle panicked during her short journey to her car. While in the parking lot behind the coffee shop, it felt as though she was being followed. She could feel eyes upon her, but she had no idea from where. She was no longer sure if that was paranoia or an accurate thought. "Hermes if you can hear me, I really need your help..." murmured Elle, afraid to be too loud in case Hel or one of her hounds were near. There was no way to tell if she came alone or not. For all Elle knew, she could have been surrounded by immortals at that very moment. It was a safe assumption that anything that wished her harm wouldn't be waiting out in the open holding a bright neon sign that exclaimed they wanted her dead. The safer idea would have been waiting inside the building with Jake. Two people with two sets of eyes that could see an attack from something. But with Jake being human, he would not be much assistance against a goddess of death and her hell hounds.

Elle's teeth jittered as she jumped into her car and quickly slammed the door shut. She locked the door although she knew it was a useless action. She felt like a sitting duck as started the car and started to pull out. "You are safe," said a familiar voice from Elle's passenger seat. "Though for how much longer is a true debate."

Having been far used to Hermes popping up at random intervals prepared Elle for the sudden and unannounced arrival of Kane. She was spooked but she luckily only gave a slight jump in the drivers' seat as she kept control of her steering wheel. "So that really was Hel who stopped by for a visit."

"Indeed." Kane looked the same as the last time Elle saw him. He was wearing a finely tailored black suit that had small touches of red around the wrists and at his breast pocket. He seemed to be watching out the window for something. The idea of Hel attacking while she drove caused Elle to slow down the Jeep slightly. Kane shook his head at her actions. "She will not attack with me around. On the off scenario that she does, I would transport you to safety immediately."

Elle was comforted by this enough to return to the speed limit, thankful there were no cars behind her to confuse with her actions.

"What does she want?"

Kane shot her a look of surprise. "I trained in sorcery for my younger years, not mind reading. I have no way of knowing the wants of a psychopath."

Elle had a sudden look of fear and Kane's features softened. "You are quite safe Evangeline."

"She's the goddess of death," Elle shot back. "If she really wants me dead there's nothing you can do to stop it."

At this he smiled ruefully. "You have no idea just how powerful the fire kingdom is, do you?" Elle didn't say anything for he wasn't wrong. She didn't know anything of her family's kingdom. Kane smiled smugly at her silence. "Your upbringing among the humans worked against you, little sister."

"As if Pele giving me away at birth was really better for me." Elle's sarcasm was abundant. But as she had said this, Elle didn't know if she was accurate. As much as she loved her grandparents, Lucy, and growing up human, she had not wound up prepared to deal with immortals in the long run. She was at a strong disadvantage. Nowadays her martial arts classes and reading up on mythology didn't feel as much preparing as it felt like taking a crash course.
They drove in silence the few miles back to the farm. Elle finally reached it, pulling into her grandparents' long driveway. The snow that had fallen earlier was turning to ice. It was a sleek trip simply trying to park the car. Kane seemed to finally find a response.

"You would have been prepared in the art of self-defense had you grown up knowing of your royal bloodline."

"My dad didn't want his only child sold off to winter's throne," said Elle coolly. "I can't say I have regrets with his decision."