2)New Faces

Authors Note: 
"What was I made for" by Billie Eilish
***

The next day pancakes won over Lucy's previous debate. The two went out for breakfast as opposed to attempting their own recipe; both realizing they really did not care to do the dishes upon finishing breakfast. After that, Lucy went to attend her college classes while Elle went to work at her full-time job. The day passed by slowly with a small number of customers. Eventually Lucy came to the coffee shop, looking for a quiet place to finish her homework along with grab a cup of the decent coffee Bean Bodega had to offer.

Elle had been entranced by the sight of heavy raindrops splattering against the cement outside the cozy confines of the coffee shop. At first, the droplets tapped gently, but soon, they intensified into a brilliant downpour, a stark reminder of winter's arrival. Yet, despite the season, there was no hint of snowfall to be found. South Carolina's warmth lingered, the temperature stubbornly refusing to dip below 65 degrees, even on Christmas Day. Though snow was a rarity in these parts, December occasionally graced the landscape with a small delicate white blanket of snow. Seated on her well-deserved forty-minute break, a respite from the demands of her eight-hour shift thus far, Elle pondered the irony of her situation. Technically speaking, she didn't need to work; her financial security was assured, courtesy of the substantial inheritance of money and jewels given to her by...

Elle winced, as though struck by an unseen force, recoiling from the mere thought of him. His name remained unspoken; his memory banished even from the sanctuary of her own thoughts.
It wasn't as if Elle hadn't tried various attempts to contact him. For months, she had pursued her ex relentlessly, employing every tactic imaginable in a desperate bid to speak to him. She penned heartfelt letters, reached out to mutual acquaintances, and even attempted chance encounters, all to no avail. He had made it abundantly clear: he wanted nothing to do with her.

Yet, in his absence, he left her staggering fortune. Despite the wealth at her disposal, Elle remained adrift, uncertain of how to navigate the newfound money he had given her. .At first, she did the logical things after acquiring so much money. She paid off her grandparents' debts. She paid off their loans for their vehicles and home. Next Elle paid for her best friends' college tuition even though Lucy adamantly fought against such generosity. Elle's reasoning for having so much money was explained away by her simply saying she got lucky and won the lottery. Her small family and best friend believed her; no one the wiser. Elle helped renovate the farm with new shelters for the animals, and a new roof for the house. Saying she got lucky with the local lottery was a far easier lie than the truth. There was no way to explain to the people she loved she acquired so much wealth after the breakup of arranged marriage that was arranged centuries before any of them were born.

After that, Elle was at a lost on how to live with so much wealth. She donated most of it to multiple charities and random individuals she found on funding websites, before placing a lot of it in her bank account. It was only to be used in case her grandparents, Lucy, or anyone else needed it. Elle knew she would never touch it. She enjoyed helping others financially, but she didn't dare use the money left on herself. It felt like a bribe, a superficial way for her ex to compensate for breaking her heart.

Thoughts of her ex and the memory of his hauntingly pale face sent a pang coursing through Elle's being, igniting a tempest of emotions within her. A tingling warmth prickled beneath her skin, an unwelcome reminder of the intensity of her feelings. Drawing in a deep, steadying breath, she sought solace in the rhythmic patter of the rain against the pavement.

Returning her gaze to the cascading droplets, Elle found refuge in the mindless observation of nature's symphony, allowing the relentless rain to mirror her inner turmoil. In the gentle chaos of the storm, she discovered a fleeting semblance of peace, a respite from the storm raging within her own heart.