19)Anger Growing

"Something in the way" by Nirvana
***

"You're not trying hard enough," said Jack hours later. Currently, Elle was sprawled on the ground having dodged yet another large icicle he had had thrown. Most of the training involved Elle dodging his hits. He never once tried attacking her with a typical weapon. His weapon of choice was solely icicles. They worked on dodging strikes before attacking with a counterstrike. Not much cardio was involved, but it was more exhausting than any MMA class Elle had participated in the last few months. She was starting to have regrets of begrudgingly allowing him to train her. "How is throwing ice at me going to prepare me in a fight against Loki or Macaria? I mean, unless they're also going to try killing me with snow."

"It's a lesson," called Jack, ignoring her sarcasm. "I'm fighting with my best weapon. You could easily fight me with your abilities. You're choosing not to."

Elle scraped the dust of the arena off her armor as she stood. "Yes, I'm simply choosing to always have my life in danger when it comes to immortals. You have it all figured out, don't you?"
Jack looked amused by her sarcastic response, but only for a moment. "Then humor me. What is the reason that a demigoddess who possesses the ability to control fire not utilizing that against an enemy? Are you too afraid to use your power...?"
"I'm not a coward."
"I didn't call you one."
"You insinuated it!"
"You're being quite defensive over such a miniscule comment," Jack snipped back.
"I want a new trainer," said Elle promptly, easily dodging yet another icicle he threw. It did not feel as though the intent was to truly reach her with the icicles, and the entire training Elle found herself distracted as to why he would want to train her only not to provide true effort when doing so.

"That's why you're not trying?" He sounded skeptical.
"Yes," said Elle, wanting to sound more mature than she felt. "I don't want to be around you. Having another person to train me would make things easier."
But Jack only chuckled. "You're not trying simply because you do not appreciate my presence?" His chuckling grew.
"Don't laugh at me."
"Then don't provide such a silly reasoning."
Elle took a deep breath through her nose; her patience was wearing thin by the more he chuckled. He clearly enjoyed seeing her flustered. "I can't concentrate with you around."
Jack nodded as if giving this answer serious consideration. "Well then, simply give up now. After all, your enemies will always make sure you are up to your full level of concentration before staging an attack." His tone was mocking.

There was a long silence after that. "What, nothing to say?" he pushed.
Elle's eyes were narrowed; her fists clenched. She took another deep breath as Jack spoke again. "Strange how the tides have turned, eh?"

"I don't know what you're implying," she said carefully, not wanting her anger to boil over.
"For months, night after night, time after time, you tried everything in your power to contact me. Now when I'm right in front of you, you have nothing to say."
"You're the one who put on those divorce papers that there was 'nothing more to say'," sneered Elle vehemently. "I'm only trying to respect your wishes."

She had turned to point a finger at him, but the action was not that simple. Instead, a wave of flames shot from Elle and suddenly directed itself towards the direction of Jack. It hadn't been strong enough to reach him, but it was enough to take Jack by surprise given he wasn't anticipating the move. It was enough of a surprise that he took a step back. He raised a single eyebrow. "Am I correct to assume that was not an intentional move, Elle?"
Elle clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth but did not respond. She was careful to avoid his gaze even as he approached. "What's the reason you are not trying to use fire?"
Elle started to walk away, and it was Jack gently grabbing her shoulder that had her spinning on her heel. "Don't touch me!"

Jack faced his pale palms towards her, his grey eyes gently widening. Although she didn't feel as though he had truly done anything to set her off, it was still enough for her entire torso to be engulfed in flames. Elle chose to walk away and act as if this was a perfectly natural move and not unintentionally done. It seemed Jack knew better.
"It's getting worse," he acknowledged.

Elle said nothing, causing him to probe further. "Isn't it?"
"Being around you? Yeah, it is." She tried to keep her voice full of hatred instead of fear. It was difficult; the latter was seeping in the longer she went unable to extinguish the flames. She tried to stay calm even as Jack followed her into the training center. "Are you sure you want to come in here...?"

"Why wouldn't I?" she snapped. She wished he would stop following her for she quickly realized his point. She had gotten far too hot in temperature; her flames were taking over her entire body; even engulfing her feet. As she went to open a door that led to the changing rooms, the golden doorknob looked near melting as her hand hovered over it. Jack was quietly watching her movements. He did not say anything until it became evident Elle did not want to touch the door given the melting doorknob. "How long does it take you to calm down?"
Elle did not want to share this conversation with Jack of all people, but it did not seem he would be leaving anytime soon. After a long silence where she tried to control her breathing, Elle spoke again. "Longer than I care to admit."
"May I...?"
Elle held her breath in a bid to calm herself, but the flames were becoming too much to control. They started to emit brilliantly from her, almost as if she would be able to shoot them from her body if she wished them too...
Elle nodded at Jack, who proceeded to gently put his pale hands onto her forearms. Instantaneously, a loud hissing sound started as soon as Jack made contact with Elle's fiery arms. Smoke and steam issued between them, the effect quickly making the tunnels turn into a sauna. Elle looked down at her fire-proof armor, amazed and stunned by both her and Jack's abilities.

"Thanks," she quickly muttered, about to open the singed door leading to the locker rooms.
"You've gotten stronger," he noted.
Elle gave a jerk of a shrug. She couldn't deny that obvious fact. "Would you like assistance learning..." he stopped talking the moment he saw Elle gaping at him.
"Why are you doing this?" she finally asked.
He tilted his head to watch her arms that were thrown outward, saying nothing. Elle chose to elaborate when he wouldn't answer. "Accepting Alaz's invitation, rescuing me from Loki's sons, accepting Hera's wish to train me-"
"Technically, Hera never requested me to train you," admitted Jack. He had a coy smile to him as Elle developed a look of confusion.
"What?"

It was then that she understood what he was implying without him saying it. "You hijacked my training session that was meant to be with someone else." Ultimately, she should have known. Although Hera was a strong supporter of marriage, she had been glaring at Jack for far too long at Alaz's party to show she was still nursing a grudge for the way he had hurt Elle. Jack said nothing to this accusation, causing her to raise an eyebrow. "Are you going to try denying it?"
"I see no reason to, you're not wrong."

Elle wanted to reply. She opened and closed her mouth twice before she thought better of it. After all, she had nothing to say, his response stumped her. "I remember the last time we were here," recalled Jack, looking out of the tunnels towards the arena.

It was for wife training, Elle thought. She thought back on that memory, and how it was due to Jack for why she hadn't been horrifically disfigured by her opponents. "It feels like a lifetime ago," she admitted, remembering how scared and uneasy she had felt being forced into the arena. Although she wasn't as talented as a fighter as she could be, Elle now had a better idea of her abilities. She felt she could fare better in a fight now then she could back then. Her eyes watched the area as well, remembering that Jack had once purposely made her upset in order to activate her abilities. It was when he stepped closer to her that Elle stepped back.

"I don't know what you want from me," admitted Elle, unable to meet his gaze. She kept her eyes on the arena, careful not to look at his beautiful gray eyes. She used a finger to keep Jack silent before he could reply. "You're right. I spent months trying every possible way to contact you. You know it, too." She now looked him in the eyes. He said nothing, but that didn't matter. The guilt was on his face. Slight, but noticeable. They both knew her words were true.
Elle's eyes narrowed again. "It's almost as if you don't like rejection now that you're on the receiving end of it." All she could think of was her own rejection. Trying night after night, day after day to contact Jack to no avail. Her hands were balled into tight fists again, her breath was becoming shaky and uneven.

"Constant letters, shouting to the sky, shaking that globe," said Jack, putting his hands behind his back to hold. He never broke eye contact. "How is it now that I am more than willing to communicate, you no longer want to?"

Elle could suddenly feel her anger growing once more. It blossomed deep within her; slowly growing until she felt it developing her entire body once more. It was the harsh realization that she hadn't pieced together earlier. "You knew I was trying to contact you; and you purposely ignored me." It wasn't a question on her part, but an acknowledgement
Jack said nothing. His grey eyes slowly widened, but he made no effort to back away from Elle. Not even as she formed a lovely ball of glowing orange and red flames in her hand. She was so angry; so full of emotion, Elle only meant to throw it at him as one would throw a snowball. But what neither of them could have anticipated was the jet of flames that issued from Elle's arm before launching at Jack's chest.

Thankfully for Jack, he had excellent reflexes. Quickly he transformed his body into solid ice. But even still, steam immediately flew from him the second the jet of flames made contact with him. It happened so fast, Jack immediately jumped back, somehow no longer frozen. His white hair was soaking wet, almost as if he had been doused in water. He looked as surprised as Elle suddenly felt. He was not hurt, but there could have possibly been harm done had Elle tried hard enough to harm him. They immediately locked eyes, both more than surprised. Elle wanted to apologize. She wanted to immediately ask Jack if he was okay. She wanted to explain she could not help it; it was her abilities manifesting more powerful than ever before. But as Elle looked into his beautiful grey eyes, she knew that if she let herself care for Jack once more, he held the ability to break her heart all over again.
She couldn't have that; so, she took the cowards way out and ran away.
***

A/N
*This is not the full-blown manuscript that will be published, so please believe me when I say you're going to LOVE the full version! As always, thank you so so so much for reading! If you're bored and still eager to be part of the BTJF universe, check out 'The Lost Asgardian' on my page! It's a spinoff featuring Loki and it has a few characters from BTJF making an appearance. ;)

Happy Reading! 
Alycat

 ;)Happy Reading! Alycat