9

black

black... red... black... red...black.

picking out an outfit is usually beyond easy for me. but this was different, dinner with owen. so here i was, standing in my closet with a black satin high slit dress in one hand and a red velvet one in the other.
black was a safe option, i guess. i don't know why i was so nervous i mean, i've known the guy for years how bad could this be?

with my hair straightened and my makeup done i slip through dress on and look myself over once more in my long mirror.
a sigh hits me when i realized what had actually gotten myself into.
i put black red bottoms, silver studs and a necklace to finish the look.

i walk out to the kitchen and see lexi rotting on the couch.
"hey sexy, where are you off to?" she asks
"you'll hate me if i answer that question can you zip me up?" i ask retouching up my lip gloss.
"yeah, i have a guess at what your answer is. don't say it outloud. be smart alana, seriously." she says zipping up the back of my dress.
"i will lex" i tell her before there's a knock at the door
"he's coming in?" she whines
"lexi."

i walk over to the door opening it revealing owen in an all black suit and a rose in his hand.
"you're early" i tell him opening the door wider to let him in.
"O-dog, what's up" lexi asks getting up from the couch and going to her room down the hall.
"hey lex" he grins.

"you want a drink?" i ask him
"water will be fine, thank you."
i assumed our reservation wasn't for a little, he told me to be ready at seven and it's only six fifteen now.
i grab a glass from the cabinet and fill it with water from the refrigerator before handing it to him.
"this is for you." he hands me the rose.
"thank you, owen."

"where are we going tonight?" i ask him
"the modern, you been?"
"for a business dinner, once."
"it's one of my go to spots, keep working with me and it will be yours too"
i roll my eyes at him
"what?"
"does everything have to be about work?"
"alana that's not what i me-"
"no more talking about it, all night. or im out." i warn him
he nods his head and checks his watch.
"let's head out?"
i go to the bench by the door and grab my black couch purse and a long black blazer. owen opens the door for me and we head down to his car. he drove himself. a black jeep wrangler with black interior. very fitting for him.

after a twenty minute ride mostly filled with silence we make it to the restaurant. he opens my door for me and hands his keys to the valet while we walk into the restaurant.
"Mr. Smith, it's been a while. we were excited to see your name on our reservation list tonight." an older woman says smiling up at owen.
"i've been busy, but i'll be coming around more often" he assured her.
"i'll show you to your table."

when was here we were taken to a back private event room so i never got a look at the restaurant, a very beautiful place. maybe i should come here more.
"here you are, and your server will be with you momentarily."
we both say thank you and look over our menus. i glare up at him every now and then smirking to myself.

"so Mr. Smith, what is your dish of choice?"
"i go for the prime rib, medium with green beans and mashed potatoes."
"interesting"
"and you, what's looking good?"
"not sure yet, this drink menu looks quite appetizing"

"good evening, my name is carla i'll be helping you guys out tonight" she places down a basket of bread and a little cup of butter.
"can i get your started with some drinks?"
owen nods at me and i look up at her
"i'll take an espresso martini, please"
"and for you?" she turns to owen
"bombay sapphire with vermouth and a twisted lemon"
"i'll get those right out for you" she walks away and we return to a conversation.

"so, lastnight you were a little handsy with me."
"you want to talk about this here? now?"
he grins at me and lets out a soft laugh.

carla comes back and places our drinks down.
"would you guys like to throw in an appetizer or do we want to go ahead with the main course."
"we'll start with the winter charcuterie board" owen says.
"i'll put that right in"

we sip on our drinks while talking, not about anything specific until the charcuterie board comes out, a wide spread of crackers, cheese, meats, raisins, fruits and nuts.
"this looks like a meal itself." i tell him
"how about some maine courses? have we figured those out?" carla asks
"yeah, i think we're all set to order. alana?
"ill have the lobster ravioli and a side caesar please"
she nods and looks at owen next
"i'll have the prime rib, cooked medium with roasted green beans and mashed potatoes."
"perfect, it will be out shortly"

she walks away once again.
"i know you don't want to talk about work, but i have to ask. have you given any thought to working for me?"
"owen"
"we leave for italy in a week and then i'll need a decision"
"i know, but i do remember telling you i would never work for you. under you."
"so is that your final decision"
"tell me what i will have working with you that i won't get from marina. as far as i am concerned i seem to feel the same at both."

he sips from his glass and looks over me.
this couldn't be good.
"more money, more opportunity, more freedom, more shows, higher view count, nicer clothes. the list goes on"
i bite my bottom lip and take a deep breath.
"i'll take it into consideration"

after a few moments of silence we get our food and begin to eat.
"how is it?"
"good"

after another round of drinks and basically finish our food we're left talking once again, our server had left the check on the table, i reach for my card before owen stops me.
"what are you doing?" he asks
"splitting the check, it's an expensive meal owen."
"let me pay, please"
i sigh and put my card back into my purse and he puts his card down.
"thank you, owen"
"anytime"

we take the last sips of our drinks and finally head out. the valet brings the car around front, owen opens the door for me and we start the drive.
"you have any other plans tonight?" he asks
"just going to bed."
"alright"

another silent drive back to my apartment when i had the insane idea to do this.
"do you want to come up? lexi texted me and she's going out, she won't be home until later. i mean if you have plans that's okay."
"i would love to"
what mistake did i just make.