chapter one

You sat in the corner back at base, observing as vector and knuckles argued. Charmy sat under a table playing with toys, and amy wrote things on a whiteboard. Motivational stuff and tips.

You saw someone walking towards you, it was Sonic!

You admired sonic. You loved how he never gave up, how he persevered through the toughest of challenges. You adored his smile, and the way he was always so optimistic. With sonic, there was always another way. His courage and bravery, the way he always seemed to do the right thing. You always admired him so many reasons, and you were honored to have him as a friend. He was looked up to by everyone, and for a good reason.

As he walked closer, you could see the worry on his face. That was.. Strange. But you brushed it off, maybe something was bothering him.

"Yo, Y/N." he waved. You saw a few others behind him. Shadow, silver, rouge, and espio. Some anxiety crept in, they did not look happy.

"Listen... Y/N, im going on a mission. Were asking you to come along." sonic says, his voice trembling ever so slightly. This was weird, why did he seem so on edge? This wasn't like sonic... and since he said that, others haven't been making eye contact.

"Oh, sure! Ill be glad to help." you . You had gone on missions before, what was different about this one?

"Great, were leaving now... its urgent." Shadow says. Hes looking down, his arms crossed. But... i guess that was just, usual behavior from shadow? Rouge reached down to hold your hand. Rouge was amazing. She had a heart of gold, and you could say so many great things about her. Since you joined the resistance, her and sonic were always there to help guide you. So was everyone else, which is what you loved about them.

This was a large group to be having on a mission. It was usually two or three people. You all climbed into tails's plane, and you sat next to rouge and shadow. They were being oddly quiet, even tails, who was getting the plane started.

"You guys all ready to go?" sonic says. The others nod silently. You could feel the unsease in the air.

"...I think i should clear some things up." sonic says, hesitantly. "Our mission is to find Infinite. I know most of you haven't seen him in person. I told you guys this before, with the exception of... Y/N." he looks down too his feet. "This isn't an ordinary mission... eggman has something planned. Tails figured it out for us. Thanks, buddy." he pats tails's shoulder. "Infinite will be there. He knows we're coming. Y/N. I know this is a lot to ask from you, but we're asking if you could be... some sort of... distraction?"

"No problem." you say, trying to sound confident. You hear some people breathing sighs of relief. That tension that you felt before was fading. After a while, others were talking and rouge leaned in.

"I just wanted to let you know, that we were really nervous you would say no. we really need you on this mission, i knew you would agree. You can trust us." she says, reassuring you, which made some anxiety of your go away.

As you felt the wind in your face from up in the sky, everything seemed so... peaceful. You were having a hard time letting go of the fear though. What always helped was thinking about sonic, what would he do? He would ignore the fear and push on.

"Alright guys, hang on, we're landing here in the middle of Sunset Heights!!" tails says. He streers the plane down and lands in a clearing on the dusty ground in the middle of a ruined town. There was debris and collapsed buildings everywhere, and that caused a feeling of dread and sorrow in your heart. Everyone hopped out of the plane and gathered in a group.

"Okay, heres the plan." sonic says. He was going to give everyone a job.

"Me, shadow, and silver are going to go straight for eggmans base. Rouge, i want you to fly up and keep an eye out for enemies, and warn us. Espio, your job is to clear the exit for us. And Y/N, don't think i forgot."

You take a deep breath, anxious of your task.

"Im going to have you go west and try to lure infinite away. Don't worry! We wont have you fighting him. You just need to pretend to be hiding, and run when you get the chance. Im sorry, not very fun." sonic says. You could hear some guilt in his words, and you could tell he really did feel bad.

Shadow nudges you, getting your attention. "Sounds thrilling, huh Y/N?" he teases. But you knew he also felt bad. Because you were way less experienced than all of them, this was a pretty big task, to be dealing with infinite.

Silver points you east and you watch as they head off to their battle.

Infinites POV

I paced around the entrance of my base, thinking. How would they ambush me? With the power of the phantom ruby, i could do basically anything, but it hadn't reached its full power yet. I picked up my mask and slipped it on my face.

The mask... was to hide my scars. My past self. From when i was weak and easily defeated, but not anymore. That wouldn't happen again. I made a promise to myself. No matter how much the past hurt, ive pushed it away.

I stood outside, feeling the chilling breeze hit my fur. I sighed and fixed my hair, and fastened my shoes. I was ready, to face the battle. I wasn't going to give up, not after my defeat, and not after my recent victories.

The thing was, i was hesitant. Not because of the battle, but... something was missing. I was in this battle alone, and it would be that way until the end. Of course i had eggman, but he was no one to rely on. I knew i couldn't trust him. I know that eggman and I are "in this together, ...but that doesn't fill the emptiness.

I shook my head as i rose into the air, scanning the cities ruins and the fallen buildings. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, to see the damage i had done. Yet at the same time, it caused me dread to see the ruins.

The weather wasn't helping either, the sun was blocked by clouds and the wind was making it a bit difficult to drift through the air.

My goal was to find sonics team, as i had found out that they would be raiding eggman's base. I was ordered by him to find them, as fast as possible. I just didn't know if they were aware i knew.