chap 2

The sky was turning grey as the air chilled. You held your arms close to your chest as you walked, trembling from both fear and the cold. You kept an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, and for infinite. Sonic told you that if you did become in danger, you could send an sos and they would come find you. But that was only if you needed it, your main goal was to get in danger.

As you shuffled through the ruined town, you pondered about your friends

You wondered if sonic and the others were okay, you really hoped they were. And those back at the resistances base, aswell. You pictured amy assuring everyone that those on the mission would be alright, and you imagined knuckles guiding sonic to eggmans lair through his radio.. Charmy would be sitting there with a cute smile, watching as vector did paperwork.

You must have been to lost int thought because your foot got caught in a trap and you panicked as it dragged you up and far away, over a deep sunken-in area of town, secluded inbetween two hills. There must have been a landslide or something, because the land seemed unnatural. You screamed as it let go of your foot and you fell.

...

The last thing you could remember was falling. You didn't know what happened, but you also could remember the feeling of the harsh impact of your body slamming into the ground.

You awoke to the chill of the wind blowing across your cheek. After a few blinks, your vision came into focus. Your brain felt like it was filled with fog, and from the dim early evening light you could just barely see... a familiar figure. It was off it in the distance, but it seemed to be... watching.

As you tried to steady yourself and regain balance, you noticed it trying to hide itself. That wasn't the biggest of your problems though. Where were you? What happened? You coughed to relieve some pressure in your chest, that felt like it was caving in. your knees felt weak and they ached like hell. Looking around, you found yourself in the ruins of a former village. You couldn't see or hear any others around- which set in a huge amount of anxiety.

Remembering the strange figure, lurking in the shadows, you desperately looked around for it, but it was nowhere. Overcome by fear, you sat in the dust and dirt, holding your tail. Your eyes watered- the feeling of hopelessness overwhelmed you.

Your memory slowly came back to you. You were on a very important mission, with sonic, rouge, shadow... and you were tasked to become a distraction for... infinite. Your friends were far away from you, there was no chance they would be done anytime soon.

You knew you were being watched. You felt eyes on you, and you knew someone was there. It was a terrible feeling, like feeling as though you couldn't move or you'd be spotted.

You could feel a paralyzing fear slowly making its way through your body, dominating every last nerve. The air hung heavy around you, pressing down like a weight.

"I can smell your fear," a loud voice broke the silence. For as heavy as the air felt, all that took to peirce it was sharp words.

The hair on your neck stood up, and your claws unsheathed. You hesitated before turning your head, where a jackal with a red aura stood. You knew it was your mission to find him, but him actually being there really scared you. It was Infinite. The ultimate mercenary.

As you trembled in fear, your heart raced. You sat there, on the ground, shocked. This was not how you intended to end up, trapped in a secluded area with barely anywhere to run. Sonic had told you that you didn't need to fight, but this was a desperate situation.

"Your fear is intoxicating," his sinister tone sent a shiver down your spine. You tried your best to not make direct eye contact with him, but you could feel his gaze boring into your skin like knives. You closed your eyes to try and force it out, but when you opened your eyes again, you saw a familiar face.