"Double Traction Trouble", 1966

Edward was making his way down his branch line with a long line of China Clay due for the harbor. His gaze was kept between the line ahead and the sky above. It was dark and cloudy and thunder could be heard in the distance. Edward was forced to stop at a red signal next to the Orchard where he saw Trevor finishing the last of the day's work.

"Hello Trevor, are you alright? Seems like something's on your mind."

"Oh I'm fine Edward. Just a little worried about this storm. Jem says it's supposed to be really bad tonight."

"Well at least you have your shed to keep you warm."

"I guess that's true. I'm sure you're not at all worried about it. Your shed is made of brick and steel."

"I'm not worried about the storm. I'm worried about what follows it."

"And what might that be?"

"Fergus." Edward said ominously.

Trevor stared at Edward with raised brow almost as if he were meant to know who Fergus was.

"Fergus is one of the engines who helps the maintenance crew. He's an old kind soul, once you get to know him, but he can be rather stubborn. It's a 25% chance of us getting stuck with him so case you see a blue traction engine with big red wheels-"

"A traction engine!" exclaimed Trevor. "Oh that's wonderful! I thought I was the last one left around these parts!"

"Oh no Trevor he's not a-"

Edward trailed off as Trevor trundled away merrily.

"Traction engine like you...oh dear."

The signal then dropped and Edward puffed away, leaving Trevor singing happily in the orchard.

The sun had now gone down and Trevor was backing into his shed.

"This storm is lookin' pretty bad tonight Trevor, you sure you don't want me to take you to the garage downtown? It's a lot sturdier than this old thing plus you'll have some company. It would only take ten minutes."

"Oh Jem I'll be alright. This old shed has been through the ring countless times. Surely it will hold up again!"

Jem shrugged his shoulders and turned on his heel before shutting the old wooden doors behind him. Trevor closed his eyes and began to drift off to sleep.

The storm had caused far more damage than had been expected. Trees and power lines had been knocked over, the rails were covered by mounds of dirt and mud. Even trucks sitting out in yards had been knocked over by the fierce winds. Edward was helping clear the line of branches and by the time he reached the orchard he was met by quite the sight. Trevor's shed had collapsed with a large funnel sticking out being the only signs of the old traction engine.

"Trevor! Are you alright!" exclaimed Edward.

"Oh I could be better!" Trevor called from underneath the shed.

"Don't worry we'll have you out in a jiffy!"

The workmen ran to Jem Cole's aid and pulled the wood away freeing Trevor from his wooden cocoon.