ωɦεɳ ყσµ ૮αɳ'ƭ ℓσσҡ σɳ ƭɦε ɓ૨เɠɦƭ รเ∂ε, เ ωเℓℓ รเƭ ωเƭɦ ყσµ เɳ ƭɦε ∂α૨ҡ

Quote: Alice in Wonderland

Mitsuri Kanroji

The door to the Kanroji estate opened, and a woman wearing a kimono dashed in, soaking wet from the battering rainstorm outside. She shook out her green and pink hair like a dog.

Mitsuri groaned and set her purse down on the coffee table, slumping against the wall in a mix of tiredness and weakness. Giyuu was finally awake, and after all of the sleepless nights, she was finally at peace. She could sleep. She'd just gone out drinking with Tengen, and she was a little tipsy.

Mitsuri went into her room and collapsed into a heap on her messy futon. She sighed and smiled at the ceiling, her muscles relaxing. She could stop worrying about him now. Great. Now what was she supposed to do with her time? Mitsuri put a hand to her face, not caring how it smudged the soft makeup.

Then there was a knock at the door and Mitsuri sat up, confused. Who on earth would knock at this time? She stood up, straightening the kimono she wore and throwing a quick glance at the crystal clear mirror on her wall before opening the door. Standing there in the drenching rain was none other than the Serpent Hashira, Iguro Obanai, his black hair slicked with the water and his clothes dripping. The pet snake around his shoulders was tucked into his shirt, only his head sticking out.

"Iguro-san?" Mitsuri asked curiously.

"Kanroji! I'm so sorry for inconveniencing you, but my estate is a long way away, and I don't want to get stuck in this rain for much longer. If you don't mind, can I stay here?" He asked, his odd eyes shining.
"Y-yeah! I have a guest room with a furnace, and my brother left some of his clothes here the last he visited.. They should fit nicely. Come inside!" She offered, gesturing inside. Obanai nodded thanks and took off his shoes before entering the threshold.

Mitsuri took a moment to admire how cute Obanai looked. His black hair was plastered to his cheeks, which were a stinging red. His surprisingly thick eyelashes were sticking to each other, and his uniform smelled like rain. A scent that took her back to her childhood.

Mitsuri sighed as she stared out the open door, looking at the rain.

It was coming down in rough turrets that beat the earth below, making puddles shimmer with the force of the impact. She watched silently, listening to the thunder roll. Her brother was sound asleep in her mother's lap while she was washing tonight's rice for dinner.

"Mitsuri, whatever is the matter?" Her mother asked. Mitsuri turned around and faced her mother.

"I...I miss him" Mitsuri admitted, staring at the bridge that arched over the flowing creek where her house resided.

"That rat?" Her mother chuckled. Mitsuri snapped her head around. "That's so rude! He isn't a rat!" She protested.

Her mother smiled in exasperation. "Mitsuri, my dear. Some men are fools who leave truly good women because she isn't pretty enough. He was one of these men. On some basis, I'm glad he broke up with you. He would've hurt you, and my little girl deserves only the best." She said, moving her brother off of her lap, walking up to Mitsuri and sitting next to her.

"My little girl deserves better than some man who leaves a woman because she's too colourful and strong. Mitsuri, I'm glad you didn't have to put up with his bullshit." her mother confided.

Mitsuri felt a tear trace down her cheek. "Oh, Mom, I don't know what I'd do without you." She murmured, wrapping her arms around her mother. "I love you, Mitsuri. I want you to do something with your life, I want you to be the strong, capable woman that you are. Don't let a man EVER tell you how to be." She said, pulling away and looking Mitsuri deep into her eyes.

"I love you"

Mitsuri shot back to the moment as she stared at Obanai's flushed face.

They stared at each other for a minute, and then Mitsuri shook her head.

"Ah, let me guide you to the guest room." She said, beckoning Obanai to come with her.

"Oh, okay."

They walked down the hallway, and Mitsuri opened the door to a room with futon in the corner and an unlit furnace sitting in the other corner.

"Thank you, and again, I'm so sorry for bothering you!" Obanai apologized, and Mitsuri smiled. "Oh, it's no worries." She said with a toothy grin. Obanai smiled back at her.

"Hey, aren't you going to be uncomfortable in your mask? It's all wet, and I assume you don't want to get a cold..." Mitsuri said. "I have some bandages in the cupboard if you need them, but I'm assuming you don't sleep in those bandages, so I can get the new ones for you if you'd like" She added.

Obanai seemed to freeze for a moment. "I... I don't know if you'd want to see my face." He stammered. Mitsuri raised her eyebrows. "Of course I do! You're probably gorgeous underneath all of that, y'know!" She said.

Obanai looked away, almost as if he was wincing from something that wasn't there. Mitsuri looked at him for a moment and then smiled warmly.

"Well, y'know, if you don't want me to see your face, then I don't have to. I can just give you the bandages and you could do it yourself." Mitsuri murmured shyly. Obanai turned his head ever so slightly and gazed at Mitsuri through his yellow eye. "No, it's okay. I just get.. Anxious sometimes." He said with a sigh. "And no, I'm not gorgeous or handsome underneath this" Obanai gestured at the soggy fabric on his face. Mitsuri rolled her eyes. "Bet." She said, and reached to take it off. Obanai squeezed his eyes shut and the mask fell to reveal- A scar.

Mitsuri gasped lightly, and Obanai's hands started shaking at the silence.

"..Mitsuri?" He asked fearfully, opening one eye.

Mitsuri touched the scar on his face, placing her palm on his jawline and grazing her thumb over the coarse skin. Obanai shuddered, and she smiled.

"What did I say? Gorgeous." She chuckled. Obanai snapped his head around to stare at her and blinked.

"R-really?" He asked. Mitsuri nodded.

"Yeah"

Author-San Beelzebub here!

So, I'm going on a little hiatus, and this marks the midseason finale.
After this, we get into some heavy, heartbreaking juicier than a ripe peach angst.
And rape. SO. Be prepared.