Chapter 1: Konstantin

💙💛💚

💙💛💚

Today is the best day of the month, everyone in the office area gathers in the director's room of the agricultural research institute in the city of Konstantin to receive envelopes containing the most valuable papers adorned with numbers, with the highest number of zeros among similar papers.

One by one, the researchers enter the director's room, and come out with cheerful faces, holding a rather thick brown envelope.

Kane stands at the end of the line, as he is the youngest among the researchers in this institute. He patiently waits for his turn, which seems to be the last, with about ten people still ahead of him.

To alleviate his boredom, he writes in his notebook, which looks like scribbles forming a family tree diagram.

"Have you ever tried to induce recessive traits against dominant traits in this sweet corn?" asks one researcher next to him, intrigued by the picture Kane is drawing.

Kane flips through the notes in front of the page he's drawing, revealing a diagram with the same shape accompanied by boxes scribbled with red ink to mark the failures of his experiment, "I don't know, I've tried many times, and it failed. We've tried various methods, but even the professor gave up, there's no choice but to try uncertified methods."

"Hmm, it's indeed difficult. Perhaps the professor is still too afraid to try uncertified methods. Maybe some of the newbies will be able to try it." responds the researcher next to him, before he is called as the person in front of him has just exited with an envelope.

It seems there will be a meeting after today's payday distribution. These researchers don't immediately return to their workspaces, but instead wait around the director's room, as is customary. Once the director finishes distributing salaries, they will proceed to the meeting room together.

After the previous person exits, it's finally Kane's turn to enter the director's room. He quickly closes his notebook and rolls it up, then puts it in his pocket. He walks up to the door, softly knocks on it, simultaneously greeting the person inside, and steps in, closing the door behind him. "Good morning, Prof.," greets Kane politely.

"Good morning, Mr. Kane," responds the professor, sitting at his desk while flipping through the employee achievement record book. When he reaches the last page, he sees many star marks in Kane's achievement column. "Your achievements this year are excellent, Kane. I'm not surprised our accountant put more money in the envelope for you."

"Ah, thank you, Prof.," Kane bows his head humbly, grateful for the praise from the head of the research institute, though in his heart he thinks it's true that lately he has become very ambitious to receive a big bonus so he can buy a new car to replace his dilapidated one.

The professor stamps a red "Honored!" seal on Kane's achievement certificate, then places it on top of the thick envelope, and hands it to the person who has been waiting for the envelope.