Chapter 7: Overthinking About My Senior

***

***

Johan broke the cutter's blade as its front part had become dull. He enthusiastically cut the young corn tassels skillfully, then tucked the flower stalk into the crevices of his pants because unfortunately, the pants he was wearing didn't have pockets. Unlike other researchers who discarded the corn tassels on the ground after cutting them, Johan thought he could use the corn tassel as an aesthetic room decoration.

There were still many corn practicum plots left, but Johan had already completed all of his plots. Other junior researchers struggled when it came to cross-pollinating, repeatedly sneezing, with their eyes now watery due to their allergies.

"Johan, are you done?" asked one of the junior female researchers who was cross-pollinating near Johan. "Could you please help me? I can't stand my runny nose anymore," she pleaded, sniffing the fluid coming out of her nose.

"Sure, how many more?" Johan agreed to help her.

The woman showed him a paper listing the corn trees she was working on. It was evident that in the sheet, only twelve trees had been ticked off for each researcher assigned to detasseling and cross-pollinating a hundred trees.

Johan scratched his nose, momentarily hesitant to help the woman. "Um, there seem to be quite a few left."

But the woman showed her pitiful face, unable to endure the pollen exposure any longer. Her entire face turned red due to her allergic reaction, and her eyes were on the verge of tears.

"Okay, okay. I'll try to speed up," Johan finally agreed to help. The woman thanked him and affectionately stroked the arm of the man who was willing to help her.

Afterward, the woman went to the shelter building, joining the junior and senior researchers who were resting. Those sitting in the shelter yard showed symptoms of pollen allergies, especially evident from their red faces and watery eyes.

Johan continued his enjoyable task of emasculating and mating the corn. The blazing sun did not dampen his spirits to complete all the experimental plots assigned to him. His body gradually disappeared from the view of those sitting in the shelter as he worked tirelessly, cutting and pollinating the corn plants multiple times faster.

 His body gradually disappeared from the view of those sitting in the shelter as he worked tirelessly, cutting and pollinating the corn plants multiple times faster