Chapter 8: There's Too Much Stock Solution, Who Made It?

***

***

Johan rubbed his oily forehead, his hands moving down to roughly wipe his face, ending at his chin. How could he not? A senior researcher with a stubble on his chin was inspecting every culture bottle and found a culture rack labeled "Johan Alistair." Almost all of them were contaminated with fungus, not only because the cultures were contaminated, but also because all the culture bottles on that rack totaled 100 bottles. He had made too much culture media.

Illustration of contamined media (source: Pinterest)

"Mr. Alistair, I want you to clean these contaminated bottles immediately," he ordered directly in front of Johan's tired face, while rechecking if there were any cultures that could be saved, "the others too, clean the contaminated ones."

Johan bowed in regret. He thought that by making a lot of culture media yesterday, as his senior suggested, it would yield results, with all the plants he planted in the culture bottles growing. But in reality, everything was contaminated, causing him to be labeled as the one who wasted bottles and laboratory materials. Meanwhile, Johan was still upset with Kane's rebuke the other day in the field, which ultimately led him to blame his senior for his satisfaction when conducting tissue culture.

The most allergic to pollen didn't enter the laboratory now. It might be better for Johan not to meet him because if they did, his mood would instantly be ruined.

While examining the bottles on Johan's rack, the senior researcher took one of the culture bottles that seemed to survive the contamination. The middle-aged man frowned as if investigating what plant was in the culture, "Is this a chrysanthemum? The medium color doesn't look like MS," he asked.

The one asked answered briefly and confidently, "Yes, that's chrysanthemum, sir. I also tried using Nitsch and Nitcsh media."

"Oh, that's why it's contaminated. I often get contamination with that media. It's good that some survived." The senior researcher praised, which made Johan's confidence grow again. "Next time you can try something unusual, but think about the risks first. Luckily, this one succeeded on the first try."