Chapter 3: Open House

***

***

In the early morning, before the first light of dawn, the buzzing of an alarm clock could be heard right in someone's ear, undoubtedly the person who set the alarm himself.

Everyone in the room where the alarm clock was located was slightly awakened, grimacing and beginning to feel annoyed by the sound that broke the silence.

Johan woke up and grumbled in annoyance at the loud noise that woke him up. In a split second, he realized that the alarm was coming from his own alarm clock, and knowing this, he quickly turned it off in a panic. "Oops... sorry, guys, hehe," he whispered to himself.

Johan descended from his bed, which was on the top bunk, quietly to avoid making any squeaking noise from the metal bed frame.

"Hey, Johan! It's too early in the morning," complained Axel, a new friend he had just met yesterday. "What time is it now?"

Johan glanced at the wall clock installed in every dorm room. The clock's hands showed 4 o'clock in the morning. "It's only four o'clock," whispered Johan.

"Ugh, it's still too early until 5:30. Will you wake me up later?" Axel requested, curling up under his blanket again.

"Yes," whispered Johan, then he walked quietly, almost stealthily, towards the bathroom.

There was a reason for Johan to always take a shower at four in the morning while living in the campus dormitory. Not only him, but other students also showered early in the morning because every morning they had drill practice or other physical activities, so by 5 o'clock, everyone had to be on the field. This habit was still strongly ingrained in him until now, especially as he also wanted to avoid bathroom conflicts.

As he walked along the second-floor corridor towards the bathroom at the end, he saw the dawn light just beginning to shine. However, the spectacle of dawn was distracted when Johan saw someone walking on the field, seemingly enjoying the dawn too. The person was wearing a mask. "He looks like the senior from yesterday," he murmured.

 "He looks like the senior from yesterday," he murmured

***

Kane changed his clothes into office attire, which was what people in this institution usually wore on Mondays. He made sure there were no stains on his all-white outfit. After checking, Kane went to the field to join the other researchers who were already there.

The candidate researchers began to arrive one by one, lining up as arranged by one of the researchers there. The rows were made into two ranks, so when counted, there were nine complete rows, and everyone was ready for the morning assembly.

This morning assembly was intended to kick off the training for the candidate researchers to become actual researchers. Previously, such assemblies were often held at the beginning of work after a long holiday. And for four consecutive years, Kane had always been the leader of the assembly.

From the building, Kane emerged and approached the people who were lined up neatly in two groups: the candidate researchers and the senior researchers. Behind them was a professor and the main director of the institution, allowing Kane to step forward first to start the morning assembly.

Kane removed his mask, walked to the center of the field, and prepared the rows with a loud voice. "To all assembly participants, attention!"

Footsteps sounded prominently among the rows, and everyone was in a ready position with their bodies upright. But one person there had the most tense ready position, with his chest slightly puffed up and his head slightly raised. That was Johan Alistair, whose readiness was the most perfect among the others because he had been trained beforehand.

The ceremony conductor entered the field with relaxed steps. Kane was about to give the command for saluting. "To the ceremony conductor, Salute!"

After the salute, the assembly leader commanded the group to return to the ready position. "Eyes on front, open arms!" Kane's voice choked at the end, worrying him. He cleared his throat softly to remove whatever was obstructing his throat.

"Greetings from the ceremony conductor," Kane's voice sounded small and somewhat faded, "at ease!" which eventually made his voice disappear completely.

At the same time Kane's voice disappeared, someone let out a soft chuckle from among the rows of candidate researchers. Kane glanced slightly towards the direction of the chuckle, and it turned out that one person among the junior ranks was bowing his head, trying to hold back laughter. He knew who that person was, the one he had marked earlier, a man named 'Johan Alistair'.

Kane narrowed his eyes in annoyance. Aside from his annoyance, he also felt his nose starting to run. 'Damn! Looks like I'm allergic to pollen,' he muttered.

During the welcoming speech and guidance from the ceremony conductor, Kane stepped back from the field towards the ranks of the senior researchers, then tapped one of the people there, and the person stepped forward to the place Kane had just vacated as the ceremony leader intended to replace him.

***

Kane ran to the kitchen to find a kettle to heat up some water.

He cleared his throat repeatedly to loosen his choked throat, his voice sounded very hoarse and almost disappeared, "ahem... ahem... attention!"

After the water was hot, Kane brewed a spoonful of tea in a mug and added a few drops of peppermint oil to the water. After resting his throat to feel the hot sensation from the tea, he tested his voice again, "one... ahem... one." His voice hadn't fully returned, still sounding hoarse, but it was enough for him to be heard in a normal volume.

"I thought there wouldn't be any pollen outside, even though it's still summer, it seems," Kane grumbled. He was very annoyed because on his first day as a mentor, when he was supposed to show himself as a role model, his performance was disrupted by his allergy.

Previously, he had always been careful with his respiratory health during the flowering season, he would always wear a mask when going outside because he had a severe allergy to pollen.

Actually, everyone at the institution had pollen allergies, except maybe the junior named 'Johan Alistair,' but he was the one who showed the most severe allergy symptoms compared to others, so if others could still endure the slight exposure to pollen in the air today, unlike Kane, who would immediately lose his voice like now.

Kane drank the tea with peppermint oil that he made, he had to prepare his voice for today because he would teach the candidate researchers for the next month.

~To be continued

KEEP READING!!! (❁'◡'❁)

Next >>>