ii. just keep kicking

SAVIOR COMPLEX
II. 'JUST KEEP KICKING, THAT WAY YOU CAN STAY AFLOAT.'

FRIDAY, 3:35 PM

FRIDAY, 3:35 PM.

To Vee Diaz, school was actually fun.

Many, many people would disagree with her, but Vee found her classes to be better than any other part of school. The mornings at school before the bell rang for class, breaks, lunch, after school activities, etc. She hated those.

Actual class times were better because at least then, she had a reason for being alone. She could just focus on her work and keep her head down.

With the free times, Vee was usually alone, head buried in a book and pretending like she was busy to cope with the fact that she had one friend.

Had.

It had only been seventy two hours, and already, Aeri spent the entire three days with Erica Reyes. Vee kept telling herself it didn't bother her, but... It did. That Tuesday night, she tried to convince herself that the bite wouldn't change anything between them, but those hopes flew out the window when Aeri decided to stay at the train station with Derek and his pack to wait out the results of her bite.

This left Vee to phone her dad to pick her up at the gas station across the street. With her dad's questions piling up, Vee made up an excuse that Aeri had an emergency to tend to, so Vee decided to stay at the gas station.

All throughout the weekend, Vee texted Aeri only to get one-worded responses back, so she left the girl alone. All Vee did that weekend was soak up the peacefulness of the forest surrounding her.

Now that it was Monday afternoon, Vee was excited to leave the school, go back home, and sit by the river in her backyard and feed the birds that flocked to her. Unfortunately, her father had different plans.

As soon as Vee sat in the passenger seat of her dad's car, the inquisition came.

"So, made any new friends today, Vivi?" Trevor asked while ruffling his daughter's hair. Vee leaned into it with a soft smile before answering his question. "No, Papa, but it's okay. I enjoyed Mr. Westover's class today, and Ms. Morrell said I could take an online college course for Art since I excell! That means extra credits, Papa!"

Vee was so excited that Trevor couldn't find it in himself to scold her for being so closed off. The man beamed, "That's great, Vee... But, maybe you should go do teenager things more?"

Vee sighed, slumping down slightly. Immediately, he backtracked, "I didn't mean it in a bad way, honey, I just mean that... Your teenage years are flying by, Vivi. One day, you'll look back on it and realize how many experiences you missed out on. I just think maybe you could get out of your shell a bit?"