Chapter eight

I got to the bar late that night, surprised to see an older woman open the door for me and let me in, and instructed me up to William's loft, then left the bar.

When I walked into the loft, I immediately was met by the smell of blood. "William? It stinks in here.

"It's supposed to." William walked into view, his hand pressed against his side, the shirt stained a dark color. "Do you mind helping, or are you going you let me bleed out?"

"I'm debating it."

He raised his eyebrows. "If I die, it's only a matter of time before your father gets to you—forcing you to become a killer. Do you want your father to find you and take your kid, and raise him to be a serial killer like me?"

I frowned, placing my hands on my stomach. "..where's the first aid kit?"

"Bathroom cabinet. Top shelf." he answered, and laid back down on the couch.

I walked into the bathroom and grabbed the first aid kit from the top shelf of the cabinet, then walked back out. "Having a six-month pregnant lady isn't the best option for helping you with whatever happened to you." I said as I came over to the couch, setting the kit on the coffee table as I opened it up.

"Yeah, well," he painfully sat up, still holding his side. "Thank your father for that."

"My father did this to you?" I asked, "why?"

He chuckled dryly. "He wasn't a fan that I stopped trying to convince you to join us." he winced as he pulled his shirt off, blood sliding down his chest.

"Woah..."

He winked, tossing his shirt onto the couch. "Eyes up here, baby."

I just shook my head. "Do you want my help or not?"

He let out a steady breath, lacing his fingers together and placing his hands on his head. "Just bandage me up. I'd like to clean the blood from the couch as soon as possible."

"After this, you're going to rest." I said as I pressed a thick cloth against his bleeding side, stanching the blood before cleaning it. "You can clean it up tomorrow."

"Vanessa, blood doesn't bode well when staff comes in to clean my loft when I'm at work." he said as he leaned his head back, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed from the sudden sting of alcohol.

"For a professional killer, you don't do very well with blood, do you?" I asked as I finished cleaning and disinfecting his would, then grabbed gauze and bandages.

"I do well with other people's blood." He answered, leaning forward as I secured the bandage in place.

"Okay. You're good. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to head back to campus." I stood up slowly, closing the kit. "I got to study for midterms, and I cannot fail this one."

"Is it math?" he asked, leaning his elbows on his knees.

"No, actually. It's Quantum Physics." I replied.

"Smart woman." he smiled—showing perfect white teeth. "I adore smart women."

"Uh-huh, well, you don't have to adore me. It's not happening."

He stood up and walked to the glass cabinet in the kitchen, taking out a bottle of bourbon, pouring it into a glass. "Stay a while before you have to go back to slaving away about your midterm."

"And do what? I'm not drinking, and you shouldn't. You need to sleep." I grabbed the bottle from him and set it back on the counter, placing my hands on the marble and looking at him.