Chapter 1

Chris

I jolted awake in a frenzy, the taste of panic thick in my mouth. My heart drummed against my chest like a prisoner desperate for escape. The digital clock taunted me in crimson digits—8:30 AM. Dread settled in as I realized I was about to dive headfirst into a battlefield, with the enemy being time itself.
With a surge of adrenaline, I catapulted out of bed, the sheets tangling around my legs as if pleading me to stay. Ignoring their whispers, I dressed in a frenzy, my limbs moving with a life of their own. Clothes became mere accessories in my race against the clock, a dance of fabric and limbs. A blue hoodie became my armor, a beanie my shield against the unruly curls that threatened to betray my chaotic morning.
Bounding down the stairs, I stumbled upon an unexpected sight: my sister Lilia and her stoic friend Mia, lounging at the breakfast table as if time had frozen for them. Confusion clouded my thoughts as I faced them, my raised eyebrows screaming questions that my lips couldn't voice.
"What are you doing here?" My voice wavered with bewilderment, searching for answers in their nonchalant expressions.
Lilia, the queen of indifference, rolled her eyes with a flourish that spoke volumes. "Uh, I live here. In case you forgot," she drawled, her bun and eyeliner a stark contrast to my morning disarray.
My mind reeled as I blurted out my realization, "But we're late for school! It's already 8:30!"
Lilia's laughter danced in the air like shards of glass as she revealed the cruel truth - I had fallen victim to a conspiracy orchestrated by my own family. My alarm clock, usually a loyal ally, had betrayed me under the command of Lilia and Mia. The realization hit me like a ton of bricks, mixed with a hint of betrayal.
Shaking off my embarrassment, I wolfed down breakfast in record time before retreating to my room. A few frantic swipes on my phone later, and I found myself cackling at a hilarious meme that left me with morning breath potent enough to scare off a shark. The absurdity of it all washed over me in waves, a temporary reprieve from the chaos of my morning routine.
Rejoined by the absence of our brother Mike, my curiosity was piqued. Lilia gestured downstairs, a silent indication of our super-strong sibling's grand task for the day. Downstairs, amid the glowing red walls of my father's laboratory, a camaraderie was reborn as we waded through barrels of Nucleonium - our family's eccentric legacy.
As we set off on our journey to school, my invisible superpower lingering at the back of my mind, I inadvertently stumbled into Principal Wilkerson's crosshairs. His thunderous voice reverberated through the halls, a warning siren that sent a chill down my spine. Stammering excuses, I realized that my invisibility shield had shattered against the advancements of his surveillance.
Principal Wilkerson's eyes bore into mine, a storm brewing behind his stern facade. "Chris Coloss," he intoned, the weight of my lateness heavy in the air. With a sinking heart, I braced myself for the repercussions of my tardiness, knowing that this battle was far from over.