Chapter 16

KACEY (MOM)

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring, sending shockwaves through my groggy mind. My room was shrouded in darkness, as if the night itself didn't want to let go of its grasp on me. I rubbed my eyes, trying to shake off the remnants of a restless sleep that had haunted me all night. Reluctantly, I pushed myself out of bed, feeling the weight of exhaustion pulling me back down.

As I made my way downstairs, the house seemed unusually quiet, the only sound the echo of my footsteps on the creaky floorboards. In the dim light of the kitchen, I cracked an egg into a sizzling pan, the smell of breakfast mingling with a sense of foreboding that hung heavy in the air.
Mike shuffled into the kitchen, his yellow eyes clouded with sleep. "Morning," he mumbled, his voice barely above a whisper.
"Morning," I replied, keeping my gaze fixed on the egg cooking before me. "Have you seen Chris? He's never this late waking up."
A shadow crossed Mike's face, his features tense with unease. "Oh, uh, I think he's just sleeping in. He'll be up soon."
I shot him a questioning look, but he quickly looked away, dismissing my concern. Since the accident, he had been different, distant almost, as if the memories haunted him even in his sleep.
Just then, Hailey bounded into the kitchen, her cheerful voice slicing through the heavy atmosphere. "Good morning, everyone!"
The rest of the family began to trickle in, the morning routine unfolding in uneasy silence, punctuated only by murmured greetings. But Chris was conspicuously absent, his absence a gaping hole in our fragile sense of normalcy.
"Will someone go wake up Chris?" I finally spoke, breaking the tension that had settled over us like a suffocating shroud.
Hailey paled, her eyes wide with fear. "No, don't!" she blurted out, her voice tinged with a hint of desperation.
Confusion flickered across my face. "What do you mean? Why not wake him?"
She paused, her eyes darting around the room, as if searching for an answer that she couldn't find. "Chris... he won't wake up for three days. It's... it's fine, he can't go to school.. He's fine. Just let him sleep."
The words hung heavy in the air, sinking into my bones like shards of ice. He won't wake up. He's fine. The inexplicable fear that gripped my chest tightened its hold, whispering of darker truths that lurked beneath the surface of our fragile existence.
"Okay," I finally murmured, the weight of uncertainty settling upon us like a suffocating blanket. And in that moment, a silent pact was formed, as we all chose to tiptoe around the shadows that loomed over us, hoping that Chris would awaken unscathed from the depths of his slumber. I could feel the tension suffocating the room like a thick cloud of smoke. Mike, sat at the breakfast table, nervously drumming his fingers against the polished wood. Lilia,, couldn't contain her amusement, her shoulders quivering with suppressed laughter. I shot her a warning look, but she only snickered louder.
Finally, breaking the silence, Mike cleared his throat. "Mom, Dad, I'd like to go back to school," he muttered, his voice tinged with uncertainty. Lilia let out a snort, and I shot her another warning glare. Kronos, my husband and the father of my children, furrowed his brow in concern.
"Mike, we'd love for you to go back, but... do you think you can handle it?" Kronos's voice was laced with worry, his gaze shifting between Mike and me. Mike's eyes flashed with defiance.
"What do you mean, 'handle it'?" he challenged, his tone defensive. Kronos shifted uncomfortably in his seat, choosing his words carefully.
"Kids can be pretty mean, Mike. You know how cruel they can be," he explained cautiously. Mike's jaw clenched, his fists balling up in frustration.
"I can handle it," he retorted through gritted teeth, his eyes burning with determination. I could see the storm brewing inside him, a mix of fear and bravery warring for dominance.
Refusing to let doubt cloud my judgment, I reached across the table, placing a comforting hand on Mike's tense shoulder. "Of course you can go back, sweetheart. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise," I reassured him, shooting a pointed glare at Kronos, who raised his hands in surrender, understanding my silent warning.
As the echoes of our discussion settled in the room, I knew that the road ahead wouldn't be easy for Mike. But I also knew that he possessed a strength that surpassed his years, a resilience that would guide him through the darkness that awaited him in the halls of high school. And as a mother, I would stand beside him, a beacon of unwavering support in the face of whatever challenges lay ahead.