Chapter 7

Chapter 7 Mike

The room was consumed by an eerie silence, broken only by the rhythmic sound of Chris's erratic breathing. As I cautiously peered at him through the darkness, I noticed his eyes were wide open, vacant of recognition. It was as if his very soul had been snatched away, leaving behind a shell of fear.
A foreboding chill crept down my spine as I recalled the legend our grandmother had whispered to us on stormy nights - of malevolent spirits that roamed freely when the veil between our world and the next grew thin. Could it be that one of these sinister entities had invaded Chris's dreams, terrorizing him beyond comprehension?
I hesitated, grappling with the decision to wake him from his torment or to remain paralyzed by my own fears. But as if in response to my internal struggle, a low, guttural growl reverberated through the room, causing the very walls to shudder in dread.

Fear turned to resolve as I steeled myself for what lay ahead.

VICTORIA

Hidden among the shadows of the dense forest, I darted back into the underbrush, my breath coming in ragged gasps. The moon cast an eerie glow over the scene, illuminating the crumpled form of a half-devoured animal lying on the damp ground. The metallic scent of blood hung heavy in the air, mixing with the pungent odor of decaying leaves. My hands trembled uncontrollably as I tore my gaze away from the gruesome sight, knowing that my recklessness had been exposed.
A cold sweat broke out on my brow as the realization hit me like a lightning bolt - someone had seen me. Fear clawed at my chest, threatening to suffocate me as I grappled with the consequences of my carelessness. The hunger gnawed at my empty stomach, but the dread that twisted in the pit of my being overshadowed any physical discomfort.
Hailey. The thought of her finding out about my foolish mistake filled me with a bone-chilling dread. I could already envision the fury in her stormy eyes, the disappointment that would etch lines on her youthful face. My anger simmered within me, directed not at her, but at myself for being so utterly reckless.
As I stood frozen in the darkness, a deafening roar shattered the stillness of the night. My heart lurched in my chest as I recognized the unmistakable sound. Through the invisible threads that bound us together, Hailey's voice sliced through the chaos in my mind, sharp and urgent. "Victoria?! What happened?"
I swallowed hard, my throat dry with apprehension. "I was reckless," I admitted, the weight of my mistake heavy on my shoulders. "I lost control in the hunt."
"Who was it?!" Her demand was like a whip crack in the night, pushing me to the edge of panic. The image of the boy's face flashed in my mind - wide-eyed, mouth agape in terror. Chris. It was Chris, a name that now spelled danger and betrayal.
My heart plummeted as I stumbled over my own feet in the shock of the revelation. This was a disaster of monumental proportions. "Possibly Chris," I confessed, the words tasting bitter on my tongue. I knew it would stoke the flames of her anger, but the truth had a way of unfurling like a poisonous vine.
"What?!" Hailey's scream echoed through the night, a primal sound that sent shivers down my spine. Her fury was a palpable force, swirling around me like a tempest. "Did he see you?!" Her urgency bordered on desperation, her fear a reflection of my own.
How would I know? The question hung unspoken between us as the weight of our predicament pressed down on me like a suffocating blanket. My irritation flared at her relentless questioning, but I swallowed it down, knowing that there was no room for defiance now.
In the deafening silence that followed, Hailey's voice cut through like a blade. "We'll go to school tomorrow. Act normal. Don't say a word to him." Her command was iron-clad, leaving no room for argument.
"I won't," I promised, the words heavy with the weight of our shared secret. The night closed in around me, a blanket of shadows that hid my trembling form from prying eyes. Tomorrow would bring its own challenges, but for now, I was left to wrestle with the dark consequences of my actions, a silent witness to the storm that brewed on the horizon.