Chapter 14: Multi-Tool

Their mother gave them the full roundabout. Showed them every little nook and cranny of the entire facility. She wanted them to get a sense of belonging as if the entirety of her work belonged to the family. Gauge was happy to see everything. He definitely inherited the nerdy trait from his mother. As mentioned before, he was a star student, received straight A report cards since elementary school, and graduated high school early. His hard drive back home was filled with ideas for gizmos and gadgets designed to help people and make his and Polly's task of protecting the city easier. Within this space was what Meredith described as her flagship project. One that was directly benefiting from her guidance as the project head. In this lab, some devices were similar to the ones that Gauge and Polly wore, but they were slimmer and much more elegant. "What are those things?" Gauge asked as Meredith led them through a room similar to an operating theater from Grey's Anatomy. Which was an old TV show that Polly was still enjoying. He was only on season six, but it felt like it was a new experience for him with every episode.

What was inside a solid's body was repulsive, and it was even more disgusting to think that some of his species carried such organs. "It's not what we're here for," Meredith commented as she led them to an elevator, and as they stepped off that same elevator after it had descended to sublevel three of the facility, Gauge and his mother were engaged in endless conversation, there was a bunch of laughing in between. Polly wrinkled his nose in disgust; how could she do this? Go on like she hadn't been gone for the last year. "So. Now that you're finally off embargo, will you get back together with Dad, the man you're legally still married to?"

"Polly." Gauge warned firmly. Polly's blunt question hung heavy in the air, momentarily silencing the jovial atmosphere between Gauge and Meredith. Gauge shot Polly a sharp look, a silent plea to tread carefully, but Polly remained unfazed, his expression of blatant curiosity mixed with a hint of accusation. Meredith's smile faltered, replaced by a somber expression as she glanced between her two children. The joy drained from her demeanor, replaced by a solemnity that hinted at the weight of unspoken truths.

"That's a conversation for another time, Polly, as I've told you before," Meredith replied, her voice tinged with sadness and reluctance. Gauge was beginning to slowly realize what Polly's 'random' visits were about. "Right now, let's focus on the task at hand." But Polly wasn't one to be easily deterred. "But it's been a year, Mom," He pressed, his tone bordering on insistence. "Don't you think it's time to address it?"

Gauge stepped in, attempting to diffuse the tension before it escalated further. "Polly, please," he interjected, his voice firm yet pleading. "Please don't ruin the moment. We're here to learn, remember?" Meredith offered a small, strained smile, a silent acknowledgment of Gauge's attempt to steer the conversation away from uncomfortable territory. "There will be time for that discussion later. Let me show you what we've been working on."

While their mother moved into the lab, Gauge stopped Polly from entering the room by harshly grabbing his forearm. "What the hell is the matter with you?" Gauge questioned, he wasn't angry, he was more worried, Polly glared at Gauge like he was the crazy one. Gauge's grip on Polly's forearm tightened as he stared at his brother with frustration and concern. Polly returned the glare with equal intensity, his expression defiant and unyielding.

"What's the matter with me?" Polly echoed incredulously, his voice laced with sarcasm. "What's the matter with you, Gauge? Acting like everything's fine when it's... uh... not!"

Gauge's jaw clenched, his patience wearing thin. "How about instead of acting like you've lost your senses and act like an adult, Polly," He snapped, his voice low but tinged with urgency. "We're here for a reason, remember? To learn from Mom and make a difference."

Polly pulled his arm out of Gauge's grip, his gaze hardening. Polly scoffed. "You'd rather learn about some silly gadget than get answers about our family's brokenness? You're delusional."