Chapter 9: Quills and Quartz

The sound of those words had caused most of the guards and Thongvor to panic. Those that had not eaten the spiked cake was left dumbfounded as they watched the scene at the altar unfold. It was a wedding that one must say, was unforgettable.

For Riften residence, those that ate the cake like Haelga and Grelka were screaming as if something horrifying was in front of them. Maria backed away, hoping Thongvor would called his men to leave.

However, that wasn't the case as he drew a steel sword at her.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" he roared, swinging the weapon wildly. It barely scratched Maria's arm. "You Forsworn scum will know the wrath of the Silver-Blood family!"

She was relieved that he was hallucinating something that he feared but was also terrified of his sword swinging about like a mad man. Of course, this caused chaos among Riften's guards who were throwing out some of the Silver-Blood guards while citizens began to have an all out brawl. It was just like a scene from one of Maria's book about a fight club.

The children were enjoying the whole scene. Not everyday one would be invited to a wedding that ended with the tip of the sword. Svana was throwing some of the cake to the men who were ganging up on her aunt.

It touched her that her friend cared about her kin but also held back a laugh when she smeared cake onto Haelga's face. Whether it was out of spite or she was being playful since the wedding was something one would write in a book to make everyone laugh.

In fact, it would be something Maria would write about and send the manuscript to the college in Solitude.

Things were beginning to get messy when one of the Silver-Blood men gutted one of the guards alive. She felt a familiar scaly hand wrapped around her waist. "Stay close to me," Madesi hissed into her ear. Just by the edge in his tone, he too was afraid something bad might happen.

Thankfully, Tawnyfrost was around and with her Khajiit companion Kharjo, they broke up most of the fights until there were only unaffected guests left. Those were Constance Micheal and the Honorhall Orphanage, Bolli, the Bee and Barb couple, Svana, the healers from Elgrem's Elixirs and even the beggars.

Before anyone could do anything, Thongvor Silver-Blood charged in front, eyes blood-shot from both the hallucination and rage. He was facing Madesi and Maria like a sabre cat stalking his prey. "YOU!"

Madesi lets out a warning hiss as he took out his dagger. Instead of an iron dagger, this one looked like it was made out of bones with the blade being jagged while the hilt was coated in gold and encrusted with flawless amethysts and sapphires.

"You've hurt her for far too long," he growled, baring his sharp teeth. He pushed Maria aside so that he could take down the old Silver-Blood in front of the altar. He won't kill him, of course, but a message will be sent to make sure that he doesn't come back.

To everyone's shock and horror, he drove the toothed dagger straight into Thongvor's right eye, causing him to bellow in pain. Clutching his bleeding eye, he was kneeling down at the Argonian's feet. Madesi mimicked the action, eyes resigned at what he had done.

It made Maria hug him from behind.

"An eye for an eye, the world goes blind," he murmured softly, nodding at Tawnyfrost, who began to carry the man away. He would return home to Markarth and not dare to pursue her anymore. For a moment, the temple was quiet since the chaos had died down.

Offering his hand, Maria was lifted up so that the both of them were standing by the altar with Maramal at the centre. "That was quite a ruse you two have caused. Now, shall we proceed with the actual wedding?"

...

Maria could never be happier as she gazed into her lover's eyes as Maramal preached the vows of Mara. Instead of the normal matrimony rings, the both of them were giving the traditional Argonian ring that had three flawless amethysts inside.

"It was Mara that first gave birth to all of creation and pledged to watch over us as her children," Maramal began. "It is from her love of us that we first learned to love one another. It is from this love that we learn that a life lived alone is no life at all."

Deep in her heart, those words resonated with her. All her life, she felt alone even amongst her family. When Tawnyfrost arrived and caused a chain of events. it was then the young Imperial woman began to think for herself if she wanted to be free.

And that freedom was well-deserved indeed!

She gazed up at Madesi with love-filled eyes, wanting nothing more than to spend the rest of her life with him. So much they could do together and who knows, maybe it will be another chapter to write in a book.

He returned with his own sharp-tooth smile.

"We gather here today, under Mara's loving gaze, to bear witness to the union of two souls in eternal companionship. May they journey forth together in this life and the next, in prosperity and poverty, and in joy and hardship.

Maramal began to fix his gaze onto Madesi. "Do you agree to be bound together, in love, now and forever?"

"I do," Madesi answered with a nod, causing Maria's heart to burst out of her chest. She felt his tail wrapping around her waist. "Now and forever."

It was now her turn to say the vows as Maramal switched his gaze to her. "Maria, do you agree to be bound together, in love, now and forever?"

Maria closed her eyes and nodded before opening them again. "I do. Now and forever."

"Under the authority of Mara, the Divine of Love, I declare this couple to be wed!"

Everyone in the temple cheered when both of the newlyweds began to hold each other before sealing their vows with a kiss. It was sweet yet exciting as the both of them were lost in their love before Maramal cleared his throat.

"Now that the ceremony has ended, what will you two do?"

Both of the newlyweds exchanged glances at each other. They wanted nothing more than a little privacy for some 'personal activities', but this wedding shouldn't go to waste. That was when Tawnyfrost showed up at the front doors of the temple.

"Has Khajiit missed the ceremony?"