6: New News from the Newscaster

[Y/N]'s POV

Me and two of the Vees sat together in silence, 3 plates of fancy breakfast outlining the round table. I played with my fingers nervously under the table, picking at my nails. Reading the atmosphere and looking around, Val was scrolling at his phone and probably looking at sex stuff, while Vox was also scrolling, his face looking distraught or discontented. He was probably using his phone to try and distract himself from whatever he was thinking about. I waved to him, grinning. I hoped that he'd at least look over and smile back.

He glanced over, frowning even harder as he tried to avoid making eye contact with me.

Rude.

"So...." I tried to break the silence AGAIN. I was the only demon here without a phone, it seemed. If I had a phone at the moment though, I'd a hundred percent be using it too. "What's the occasion?"

Val looked up from his phone, his wide grin falling slightly as he looked at me. "Oh, nothing dear," he began, taking a sip of whatever alcoholic-coffee hybrid he had beside him, "just providing another warm welcome here." He put down his drink, hand slithering to mine, grabbing it (unconsentually) and bringing it towards him, kissing my hand, politely-ish? Still fucking weird though.

As I resisted the urge to tug my hand back to the safety of myself, my eyes darted to Vox, who had just looked up from his phone, making eye contact with me in the process.

He put down his phone, groaning as he sighed, "Val, cut it out."

"Come on, Voxy-Woxy-get-in-my-Boxies," Val mused as he leaned from me to Vox's side in a flash. Way to switch up. Vox's gaze shot at me for help, while I sat there and watched the show. "Don't be like that~!" Vox's face morphed into one of disgust.

"Get the fuck off me," Vox scowled, leaning away from Val. He looked at me, maybe sympathising with me having to deal with this for probably the rest of my career.

I couldn't help but laugh at this scene. I mean, come on. He was repelled by Val like he was a moth to the dark.

Vox finally got his boundaries broken and pushed Val away from him. "Anyway, we're here to discuss your contract." I suddenly became a thousand times more focused. I was barely even thinking about the food in front of me at this point.

"Do we have to," Val whined, groaning like a brat. In my mind, I was like, can this grown man get a grip? But of course, I couldn't express that out loud, since... y'know, they're my bosses.

"Yes, Val, this is something that's actually kind of important," Vox chided, rolling his eyes like he too felt that Val was acting like an immature child. "If you want to keep her on your roster, you're going to have to at least tell her about the conditions."

"How did you know that she didn't know, again?" He suddenly snapped out of whatever childish trance he was in, gritting his teeth like I said something i wasn't supposed to. He glared at Vox, red eyes searching for any possible lies behind them. Vox glanced at me, as though to gesture that I told him so.

Thanks a lot.

Val's head snapped at me, seething suddenly, like I wasn't supposed to say that. How would I have known that telling Vox that 'I didn't even know I signed it' was such a crime?

"Whatever, just tell already," he sunk in and leant back into his chair, pulling out a cigar and gesturing for Vox to light it. Vox put his finger at the tip of the cigar, causing it to spark and light up. Val took a long puff of it. I felt the strong urge to hold my breath.