Prologue: The Tribal Meeting

(Before the story starts, we have five different tribes that are based off of different Mushrooms. The RedCaps = fly agaric (Amanita muscaria), the Shadow Dwellers = Inky Caps, the Pine Eaters = Shaggy Mane, the Larvalins = Lion's Mane, and the Malabees = Morels.)

(I will put the definitions of words in parentheses next to the word but if there is a word you don't know please tell me which one!)

There was jabbering, and lots of it. Shafts of early morning light streamed through the leaves. The leaders of the clans had brought everyone together. And soon they were going to find out why. Everyone was curious, worried, or excited. By order of the clan leaders the Redcaps, the Shadow Dwellers, the Pine Eaters, the Larvalins and the Malabees had gathered around the stump. Very rarely did they all get together, and when they did it meant that it was an emergency. The five leaders had been up on the stump, talking. Finally, the leader of the Redcaps stepped up, immediately everyone in the clearing became silent, wondering what he would say.

"Good evening fellow mushrooms. I understand that most of us are in an hour of need," the leader Revimus, sword strapped to his side and his armor on, paused to let that sink in. "The humans have declared war, they've taken our men and killed our people! It's time for us to strike back! We have been patient and understanding yet they continue to torment us! Let us come together and fight the new threat that has arrived!"

Revimus stood back and let another leader speak. As Sameragia, a Shadow Dweller, looked around she saw that the news had reached the edges of the group and ideas were being shared. Some in the crowd cheered at this news. Others murmured their disparagements. Of course, Sameragia could only hear snippets of conversation over the cacophony(a lot of noises) of the frogs and dragonflies. Palius, leader of the Pine Eaters, cane in hand, stepped forward and again the crowd fell silent.

"Revimus, I agree with this course of action if my plan fails. Let us communicate with one another. If this doesn't work and these giants continue to attack, murder, and kidnap our citizens then let us declare war and put up our best fight!" Palius encouraged, many applauded and cheered to hear this statement. He then stepped to the side to allow the Larvalin leader Larkana to step forward to give her opinion. Once again all was quiet, even the frogs and dragonflies.

"Thank you both, Revimus and Palius, for the wonderful speeches. You were astounding!" Larkana, an experienced and wise apothecary(someone who sells medicines or drugs), applauded them. "As you have heard we are being hunted and have been for generations. But it is becoming apparent that if we don't do something quickly, we could all become extinct. We need to fight back in any way possible. We need to help each other now more than ever!

After Larkana had finished her speech there was a deafening roar of clapping and hollering. The ruler of the Malabees, Maranea, kind and graceful, advanced towards the front of the stump so all could see her. Larkana took a few steps back.

"Good afternoon, everyone, I understand if you are scared in any way. But please have patience and help us to solve this new threat. We are all willing to hear any ideas you may have," Maranea announced. "So please help us through this hardship by coming to us after the meeting and telling us about your thoughts on how to deal with these terrible beings that were sent from hell."

Sameragia didn't agree with this course of action. What a great way to finish that speech. Make us more scared. Did they forget that there are also children here? If I must, I will decipher (understand, interpret) this problem myself. The leader of the Shadow Dwellers stepped forward and proceeded to the front of the podium, while Maranea walked towards the others.

"Greetings. My name is Shavia. My father, the previous leader of the Shadow Dwellers, passed away only days ago," Shavia, a heartbroken beauty, paused, letting the tragedy of the leader pass through the crowd. "I will be taking his place as leader. I hope to help as much as possible through the hardships that have befallen us."

Sameragia had witnessed the reign of many leaders, good and bad. She didn't believe what Shavia said about helping as much as she could. But she did believe the rest. And she felt sympathetic towards Shavia, as she herself had lost both of her parents.

Someone shouted from the crowd, "How did the great leader Ecepa pass?"

"It was an unfortunate accident," she replied dryly. "He was abducted by the humans."

The crowd gasped in horror at the thought of the Shadow Dwellers' beloved leader being taken from them.

"Yes, it is all very sad," Shavia declared. She paused. "I request that we launch an attack on the humans immediately."

"Absolutely not! Why should we rush to attack? What we need is a carefully thought out plan of action and trained warriors, not a hasty attempt at revenge born of short sightedness. We know that Ecepa won't come back," Larkana countered.

"I agree," Palius added.

"Because they won't stop taking our people unless we fight back!" Shavia contradicted.

"I agree with Shavia, but when do we attack?" Revimus asked.

"Tonight," Shavia glowered.