Chapter 6 - What

Blyke struggles to get up, sore, but not in unbearable pain.

"Hang on. I'll go take a look around."

Tap tap tap

Walking to the door, he reaches for the handle.

SLAM

However, it opens for him, without him even touching it, right in his face.

"OOF!"

"Oops, sorry."

"Who the f–?"

"Oh good. You guys are awake! I brought food."

Blyke and Remi jump, eyes widened, bewildered.

"Sera-phina?!"

"DOC'S - PLACE?!?"

"DOC'S - PLACE?!?"

"Didn't he quit because he never wanted to see us again?"

"Yeah. He and my sister are dating. They're both working in the other room. Best not to bother them though. Doc's in a bad mood."

Finally breaking saying the same thing at the same time, Blyke speaks up, surprised.

"I didn't know you had a sister..."

"Seraphina, what are you doing here? Why aren't you at school?"

Sera sighs, and closes the door behind her so as to not bother the two adults with another loud outburst.

"The authorities found out that I've been working with Spectre... and they're after me. So I'm hiding out here until I can find a safe place to stay."

Blyke and Remi look at one another, thinking the same thing, before looking back to Sera.

"That's why she's been absent lately!"

"Please keep this a secret. If word gets out, they might come after you too."

"Of course."

Blyke looks to Remi, who nods in agreement. Remi looks to Sera, who looked confused about something.

"I didn't expect to see you two show up with Kayden. How do you know him?"

"Huh? Someone must've contacted him for us."

"One of your vigilante friends? I assume EMBER got to you? Your injuries looked really serious."

Blyke ponders for a moment before answering.

"Damn it... last thing I remember... we had Brims in the bag... But then a second one showed up and knocked me out... Shit... I should've paid more attention. I dragged you guys down."

Remi looks down at the bed.

"No... I shouldn't have jumped in like that. It's just... When I saw Brims using my brother's ability like that... using his lightning to murder people... It hurt so much... I– I couldn't control myself! All I wanted to do was go in there... and put an end to it! I'm sorry for acting out like that."