Painted in failure

" I don't trust anyone with my life."

Instantly she felt all the progress slip through her fingers. It's fine family is a linear process but doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Watching the walls raise them self.

She didn't stop him when he sped off, though both of them knew she probably could. She didn't move to follow him knowing that he deserved to do this himself.

Silently she closed her eyes and sent off an apology to the woman that raised her when her father couldn't. She just lost her dad and won't know till she wakes in a whole new
Century.

" Hope?" It wasn't the yelling tone she expected, sounded far to desperate and yet it was him. " Can you wake him?"

Her grandfather was at his feet, and the white oak was still in klaus' shaky hand.

Oh. She had been stupid to expect him to just stab the white oak through mikeals heart. To live the rest of immortality without answers.

Within a few seconds mikeals eyes fluttered, the spell lifted. She walked towards her grandfather offering her wrist.

" Hope, what do you think your doing." Klaus takes a step closer to stop her, it's comforting to know she still cares but she interrupts anyway.

" I'm just giving him enough to talk. My magic still has control over his movements, we're safe." After letting mikeal get enough blood to open his eyes she pulled away and walked to the corner of the room knowing this conversation wasn't for her.

" how cowardly, having your abomination fight your battles. You were weaker now then you wer-"

" Doesn't really matter anymore does it, father? Your gonna die without ever seeing your precious freya again." All it took was a second for klaus to notice the way mikeals eyes lit with fear. Not for himself but his child. " wow never thought I'd see the day the destroyer cared about anyone else besides Hitler."

" beast like you wou-"

" what's so special about her?" Her fathers childish side shone through for a moment. That little boy who did everything he could to be worthy in his dads eyes. The boy who trained till there were more bruises then clear skin, just for his father to add more.

" pardon me?" Hope had yet to see the hunter confused, in another world, on another face that look meant he regretted what he'd done.

" Twenty years. You knew me as your son for twenty years, you barely know her. And yet the thought of never seeing her again it's strong enough for you to fear. You hated me from the moment I was born and yet you love her. Why?" He refused to let Mikeal see him cry so he glare like it would kill him faster then the white oak stake.

" I didn't always hate you." In a kinder tone it would've sounded like he was defending himself, not passively insulting him. As if klaus grew into the person Mikeal despised.

" what did I do? What could a child do to deserve your hatred?"

" you were weak-"

" I was bloody child I wasn't meant to be strong."

" weak." Instantly klaus and mikealson turn to the forgotten girl, as realization reached her eyes." weak like freya."

" keep her out of your mouth witch."

" I mean dirty blond hair and blue eyes, they looked nearly identical. You didn't hate him, you loved freya and she died."

Understanding washed over Klaus, Michael wasn't the only one who had lost a child. After marcel had died he hated anything that reminded him of what he had lost. He really was his father's son. Painted in failures.

" he never could have been strong in your eyes-"

" you never actually saw me. You saw her and she was dead."

Mikeal at least had the decency to look hurt, although wether it was for Klaus was doubtful. Since it seemed nothing ever was, of every possibility he never thought of this one.

Hope never really saw how similar her dad looked to Mikeal until now, he very well could've been his son. Dirty blond hair, blue eyes, same height. They were so similar that she knew exactly what he father was going to do before he did. The second Mikeal and Klaus' eyes locked she had accepted it.

His silence was infuriating but they all knew he wasn't going to grant his bastard an explanation. So he died silent.

The heat of her grandfathers burning corpse warmed her face as she walked towards her dad. His eyes were glued on to the body as her eyes were glued to him.

He'd never admit it but Mikeal was his father, they'll always be a piece of that blue eyed boy searching for approval. Approval he never got.

"I'm sorry."