Afraid To Lose - Roman Reigns

"Alright who's ready for a drink" Jon smiles as he zips up his bag and throws it over his shoulder "let's dump our bags at your place and then hit the town"

"Not tonight man I have plans, but you two go right ahead" I say as both Jon and Colby give me knowing looks

"Y/n right?" Colby asks and I nod "how's she doing?"

"She's getting there" I sigh "she has a lot to get work through and this is part of it"

"What's the deal with you two?" Jon asks "You see her whenever you are home and when your not you call her whenever you can. Especially on Wednesdays you never miss calling her on Wednesdays"

"Jon let it go......"

"Nah I think there is something he isn't telling us" he says cutting Colby off

Shaking my head with a smile I throw my bag over my shoulder and look right at him. He looks at me as if to say "I'm waiting" and I can't help but laugh.

"It's not what you're thinking lunatic" I chuckle "tonight we are having dinner, we do it every year on the anniversary it helps her deal with it. I call her when I'm away to check how she's doing because she has no one else and Wednesdays............Wednesdays are her therapy days it helps her to talk to me about her session they can be quite draining"

"See stop being an asshole Jon" Colby says "y/n has been through a lot you know that, she needs Joe and Joe wants to be there for her because he cares about her"

"Oh please, I refuse to believe you are that blind Colby" Jon says "it's obvious he loves her and she doesn't have a clue"

I stop in my tracks and swallow hard, was it that obvious? I hope not because that would mean that y/n will have picked up on it, she never misses a thing. At the same time I was praying every day that she wouldn't meet some one because I was afraid of her not needing me anymore, I was afraid of losing her.

"I think you've misunderstood the situation................"

"He's right" I sigh "I love her, always have. But she has so much going on she doesn't need me dumping that on her"

"Can I please be allowed to finish one fucking sentence!" Colby snaps before flumping down on to the bench "you two never let me speak"

"Sorry man I just needed to say it to some one it's driving me crazy" I sigh

"Ever think it might be something she needs to hear?" Jon asks "that there is still someone in her life that loves her"

"He's right" Colby says "it might help her in some way"

================================

Sitting down to dinner with y/n I couldn't help but steal glances at her. She looked incredible. It has been so long since she had really made an effort with herself and I had to believe she was turning a corner.

"The usual?" I ask as she pushes the menu to one side

"Yeah it's tradition right?" She says giving me a half smile

"They won't be mad if you have something different babygirl" I say placing my hand on top of hers

"I know but having their favourite meal seems like the right thing to do" she says "I've never thanked you for everything you've done for me Joe, you're all I have and I'm so grateful to you, but I don't want you to feel duty bound to be there for me. You need to live your life too"

"Babygirl have I ever complained?" I ask and she shakes her head "right then, I'm there for because I want to be and I always will be"

The waiter comes to take our order and when he leaves y/n gazes out of the window at the star filled sky. I can see the tears pooling in her eyes but she is fighting agaisnt them falling.

After dinner we take a slow walk back towards her place. Normally we would go back to mine and hang with the guys but tonight I didn't think that was a good idea given out earlier conversation and beside I wanted a bit more time alone with her.

I'm about to speak when she slips on a bit of trash on the ground. With quick movements I catch her wrapping an arm around her back as she laughs uncontrollably at the situation, it had been so long since I had heard her laugh.

As I stand her up straight our eyes meet and her brow immediately furrows, the laughter stops and I'm suddenly lost for words.

"Joe......why........"

Before any more words can pass her lips I silence them with my own. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm fully expecting to be on the receiving end of the biggest slap ever but there is nothing.

Instead I feel her hands on either side of my face as she kisses me back, gently at first but then it deepens until we finally break apart.

We look at each other breathless as she places her fingers against her lips as though she can't believe what we just did.

"Joe..........what did we just do?" She asks biting her lip

"Well I think we just crossed the friendship line" I smile "I don't know about you but I'd like to cross that line again and stay there"

"I'd like that too" she smiles "but I need you to be patient, because I really need to take this slow"

"I understand, this moves at your pace" I say wrapping an arm around her shoulders as we start to walk again "and if you decide you don't want this that's fine too, there is no pressure but I want you to know something y/n..............I love you and whatever you choose that will never change"

Y/n nestles into my side not saying a word as we continue to walk. I know this will have been a lot for her and she still has so much to work through and I will be there every step of the way no matter what.