"New Beginnings, Old Connections"

In the next few months Florence had set up her shop in the capital and sells everyday goods to both the commoners and nobles,she is happily making money in secret and deviating herself from the original plot,or atleast that's what she thought.

[But as the plot had it,her life was never an easy one.]

_________________

6 months later...

[One fine evening,while she was reviewing her balancesheets ,her step mom stormed in her room.]

Filled with rage,she said, 'How dare you!
She screamed on top of her lungs 'You have been keeping secrets from me, Florence!'

Florence was taken aback by her stepmother's sudden outburst but she knew it was coming,eventually.

'What are you talking about, mother?' she asked, trying to remain calm.

Stepmother: (sneering) 'Don't play dumb with me. I have heard about your secret shop in the city. How could you do this behind my back?'
Who do you think you are, opening a shop on your own? You wasted the house's assests on something so useless and something that would bring shame to the whole house!!

Florence: (smiling confidently) That's where you're wrong. The assests that I used for running my shop were all my gifts and presents that I got from the ladies over the years .I never stole anything from the house itself. I even sold some of my jewels to invest in my endeavor.

Stepmother :Stop it! Enough of the stupid talk.
Endeavor,my foot!!

Florence: Observing her stepmother*

[[The real Florence in the novel was so scared of her stepmother that she would not even look her in the eye but not Veronica.. - She was our badass queen from 21st century. ]]

'I'm sorry, mother. I didn't mean to upset you',Florence said in a formal tone. "I just wanted to use my skills to help others.''
" And I have worked hard and saved enough to start my shop so why does it even bother you?"

Stepmother: (enraged) You traitor! How dare you betray your own family?
Doing such a lowly job as the daughter of Cunningham house,
do you think you're making your dad proud?
Other ladies will laugh at me if they found out that the girl I live with is a shopkeeper for commoners and I will become a matter of gossip that I'm not feeding that filthy mouth of yours properly.
How could you be so desperate for the money to leave the house like that and work as a commoner?
How shameful!!
It looks like it has been a while,you need to be disciplined. Brats like you need to learn their lesson.Commoners like you are nothing but a nuisance.

Florence: (calmly) My only regret is, not being able to find a way to make you love and accept me as your own daughter,stepmother.
And about getting beaten up,you know very well that even though my real mother was a commoner,my father is still a nobel so that makes me a noble as well,right? and I have my allies in this house of yours itself.
If I get a little scratch anywhere on my body,or if I tell everyone how my dear- step- mother- treats me,I don't know how the judiciary will react. Maybe they'll chop your hands off ,feed you to the hungry mice,or maybe the all time classic,
Guillotine!!!
(Florence smirked as she said that.)

Stepmother: (boiling in anger) I disown you. You're no longer a part of this household.

Florence: (smiling to herself) That's alright. I have my loyal customers and Daisy by my side . I never needed serpents like you,-Dear-Step- Mother-.

[[And with that, Florence left the house and Daisy tagged along. They travelled far back to the south to live a new life all over again peacefully,still unaware of their destiny ..]]