Twelve. The Librarian: Part One

"Warn me of what?" Judith asked nervously.

"What do you call the spirit?" Sheridan asked unexpectedly.

"Jersey," Judith answered obediently. "You can call me Judith. What do you want to tell me?"

Sheridan smiled as if falling into a deep thought, "Jersey, peculiar but could go either way. I see you don't mind."

"I should hope HE is a man," Judith responded offensively. "Especially since... Actually, nevermind."

"I understand, dear. No need to share the details."

"I named him Jersey because John seemed inappropriate when he could have been a Michael. Jersey was never going to be right so it fit." Judith asked, "Who are you?"

"Sheridan," the woman repeated. "I lived here once with my parents. I was fourteen." This caused a concerning raised eyebrow from Judith. "Do not worry, I was safe. It drove my parents to a point of madness. I witnessed some of what transpired."

"Like what?"

"Let's just say Mary took rather a liking to my father."

"Oh," replied Judith. "Oh," she repeated as if fully understanding. "I have already found out what Jersey is capable of, why are you here now? Why did you come back?"

"Jersey as you call them, can be rather possessive. You need to be careful."

It was not Judith who answered Sheridan but a frustrated knock echoed through the ceiling and the floorboards creaked a little.

"Ah, she's listening," Sheridan smiled.

Judith watched the light above them wobble a fraction. "Perhaps it is you, ma'am who needs to speak less freely."

"I do not fear your Jersey. I have come protected." Sheridan opened her coat to show a large metal cross hanging from her neck. "Coated in Underhill wax. A ghost repellent you might say."

"I see," Judith did not like the idea of what Jersey could have been feeling like in that moment.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to attack your ghost. I know some people who would like to see her crossed-over to the other side but she is bound to this house and poses no threat."

"That's some relief," Judith responded with some sarcasm.

"I just wanted to introduce myself, Judith. If you ever find you need help, you can find me at the library. I have some interesting books you may find useful." Sheridan drank her tea in one and turned to face the door.

"That's it?" Judith asked with slight annoyance. "You come here with passive aggression towards Jersey and then just leave?"

"I have a feeling you'll need help soon, Miss Ainbridge. I'll be there to offer it to you. This spirit is not to be trusted, I should know. Goodbye," Sheridan left Judith alone without another word.

"Miss Ainbridge?" Judith questioned her own name. "How did she know that?" She moved to the window to watch Sheridan pass out of view up the road.

"What a strange woman. Did you know her, Jersey?" She asked the silence. To her surprise a single knock responded.

"So you are still with me. Did you have relations with her father?" Some hesitating seconds passed before the yes reply.

"Oh, I see, and Sheridan herself?" Judith asked through gritted teeth. The two quick knocks for no brought some relief.

"And dare I ask, her mother?" Teeth still gritted. An apologetic single knock gave Judith the answer she wished she had not known.

"I'm going out to get wine," Judith said rather coldly. She grabbed her coat and shoes and pocketed her phone and keys before leaving.

***

An hour had passed before Judith returned home with a few bottles of rosé and a few meals for the week. The house was cleaner than how she left it, Jersey had tidied her things away while she was out. Although annoyed by that fact, Judith was pleased Jersey wanted to get back to normal, even though she herself needed time to process everything she had discovered that day about her host.

Judith noted her favourite wine glass and bottle opener were placed neatly on the table ready for use.

"You didn't have to," she smiled, although she had no idea if Jersey was around or not. She poured a glass and sat back, spreading herself across the sofa.

Should I apologise for being cold? Judith thought dryly. She realised it was not her place to question what Jersey did in the past. The ghost could have had many lovers before all she should care. Judith was all too aware of what her spirit was capable of and knew he or she had had nearly sixty years of loniless to contend with.

A second glass poured and a quick scroll through her phone proved the woman was getting bored again. She began to wonder what Jersey was up to and whether she should call out to them. I don't want to feel like I'm treating him as a pet. Judith thought about the times where Jersey would come to her for attention and the time she did not want the fuss, I hope I'm not one who's being treated as a pet. That thought was one she was glad to push out of her mind.

Another sound at the front door stole her attention as she looked over and saw a single enveloped letter fall to the floor in the hallway.

"What could that be? Being chased for council tax already, tossers." Judith wondered if Jersey would bring it to her if she left it long enough but the thought of treating other like pets crossed her mind again so she got up, begrudgingly, to retrieve the letter before Jersey had the opportunity to collect it for her.

Judith eyed the letter suspiciously, the handwriting looked very familiar. Judith let out a loud disgruntled noise as she realised the handwriting belonged to her ex, Neil.

She jumped back to her feet to look out of the window, whoever delivered it was long gone. Judith went back to her wine and downed that second glass before opening the letter.

"Are you fucking kidding me!" She screamed aloud. She threw the engagement invitation down in disgust and reached for the wine bottle. The letter fell to the carpet where it stayed.

"What an absolute prick! I fucking hate that guy!" Judith had not noticed that Jersey's presence had returned to the room to see what the commotion was about.

Judith continued her rant and disappeared into the kitchen while Jersey read over the letter. Neil was engaged to the woman he left Judith for, the one he had cheated on her with and was now inviting Judith to their engagement party.

Jersey could see why Judith would be upset and they hoped she was not about to do anything stupid, but any thoughts of that were too late as a loud crashing sound came from the kitchen followed by silence.

***

Word count- 12365