AVELA'S ARRANGED MARRIAGE CHAPTER 1

                                  •CHAPTER 1•
I heard it ringing from afar-that's my morning alarm. It's 04:30 am already. I switched it off-Arrgh it's another day. Today is actually a Friday and lucky I don't have a night shift. I took my toiletries and went to the bathroom and  took a shower and I decided to shaved my arms, armpits and legs. I'm a hairy girl and I don't like it. I dried my body then wrapped it with a towel then went to my room. I lotioned my body and wore my uniform-a black t-shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. I took my handbag and went to the dinning area, I found my mother setting up the table. Well my mother is actually my bestie, because we talk about almost everything.

Mom: Avela, how are you hunny? (Smiling)
Avela: Ma, I am good and I'm getting late, I don't think I'll manage having, you know the taxis. (I said in one breath)
Ma: Okay-but make sure that you eat something at work.
Avela: I promise. (I kissed her cheek) Bye, I love you so much. (I said closing the door behind me)
Ma: (She sighed) I love you too!

I left and got a taxi, it left me next to my workplace. I work at a restaurant called 'Butlers'. I worked my butts out until lunch time. My friend, Abongile and I went to McDonald's and we ordered our lunch

Avela: Soo, are we still going out tomorrow? (She nudged my arm)
Avela: Yeah, I need to buy some few things.
Abo: I also want to watch a movie, when was the last time I sat my foot in a cinema.
Avela: That's also fine with me.
Abo: But mngani when are you going to agree to go out with Lebo?
Avela: Abongile, I don't love that guy.
Abo: Give him a chance mngani.
Avela: No.

Well-Lebo is a chef from 'Butlers', he has been asking me out-He is hot and all that, but he is a player. Almost every single girl from 'Butlers'  know his lips and maybe they have also shared a bed with him nobody knows.

I just had my lunch and she changed the topic. After having lunch we went back to work. After I knocked off I took a taxi home. When I arrived at home I saw my brother's car outside and ran to the house. I got inside without knocking.

Dad: (He stood up) Aybo,kwenzenjani (confused) ujahwa yini?

I didn't see my brother in the living room.

Avela:(In a low voice) Where is Mzwandile?
Dad: Iyonanto ekwenza ungene ney'chabha leyo?
Avela: Ngyaxolisa baba, Sanibona.
Ma: Unjani mntanami?
Avela: I'm okay, how about you? (I sat down)
Ma: I'm okay.
Dad: How was work?
Avela: It was fine, where is Mzwandile?
Mzwa: I'm here. (Smiling)

That's him, I ran to hug him and he engulfed me with a hug.

Mzwa: It looks like someone really missed me.
Avela: You have no idea how much I missed you.

He broke the hug and blocked his nose and made a disgusted face.

Mzwa: You should go and take a shower.
Avela: Uyahlanya. (I nudged him)
Ma: Go and bathe Avela, dinner will be served in 10 minutes.
Avela: (I smelled myself) Do I really stink?
Ma: Maybe.

They all laughed, I took my handbag and went to my room. I took off my clothes and wrapped a towel around my body. Then went to the bathroom to take a shower, after that I went to my room, lotioned and wore my Pink and White onesie. I went to the dinning area and they were already sitting on the table waiting for me.

Mzwa: It's about time.
Avela:(I sat down) Did you come all the way from where you are coming from to bully me?
Mzwa: I'm not bullying you.
Ma: Mzwandile, leave my daughter alone.
Mzwa: What did I do?

I stuck tongue out and giggled.

Dad: Mzwandile bless the food.

I closed my eyes giggling, because I knew that  it was about to go down-he doesn't know how to pray.

Mzwa: Uhmm-Mary and Joseph, I bless the food with your names and blood Amen.
Avela:(I cleared my throat) Our father, thank you so much for being with us today and thank you for providing us with this wonderful meal. Please bless it and the hands that prepared it, Amen.
Dad & Ma: Amen.(Smiling)
Avela: Still can't pray? (I laughed)
Mzwa: Mxxm.

We had dinner over meaningless chats. I love spending time with my whole family, after dinner-I went to do the dishes and Mzwandile came.

Mzwa: Let me help you. I'll wipe the dishes and put them away.
Avela: Okay.(puzzled)

What does he want now? Don't get me wrong, I know my brother, he hates the dishes. I looked at him, is he serious?

Avela: Spill the beans, what do you want?
Mzwa: Nothing, can't I help my sister just once in a while?
Avela: You hate doing the dishes, and we both know that.
Mzwa: Well...
Avela: Talk!!
Mzwa: I have changed, and I'm just helping you.
Avel: What do you want in return? Abo's number, forget it-
Mzwa: Don't worry about her, I've already tapped that ass.
Avela: Ewww, Mzwandile!!
Mzwa: Oky jokes aside, we need to talk.
Avel: I knew it.
Mzwa: Please be honest, like a dying person.
Avela: Okay, now you sound serious.
Mzwa: I am.
Avela: Okay.
Mzwa: Do you have a boyfriend?

I didn't know how to answer that question,  so I kept quiet.

Mzwa: I need an answer Avela.

"Avela", okay-he is serious now. My brother doesn't call me by my name, he always call me "Velaphi".

Avela: No, I don't have a boyfriend.
Mzwa: Okay.
Avela: What's wrong? (Confused)
Mzwa: Nothing, let's finish up.

MZWANDILE MKHIZE

We finished with the dishes and went to our rooms. Well I am Mzwandile Mkhize, Avela's older brother. Avela will be married off to my friend  Zwakele Khumalo. This marriage was arranged for her when she was still a kid. Well Avela knows Zwakele and they do not get along. I don't know if this relationship will go North or South because these two are like Tom and Jerry, Zig and Sharko, Masha and The Bear-They just don't get along.

I woke up the next day and did my morning routine then went to the main house and Bab'mncane's car was outside. I didn't hear them arriving, I got inside and found Ma, Dad, Bab'mncane and Aunt Nomalungelo in the living room.

Mzwa: Sanibonani.
Bab'mncane: Unjani ndodana?
Aunt: Aww boy boy.( Smiling)

She stood up and pinched my cheeks, I faked a huge smile.

Mzwa: Hey anti.

I heard a camera clicking, Arrgh.

Mzwa: Velaphi, what are you doing?
Avela: I'm capturing moments.
Mzwa: Mxxm.
Bab'mncane: The Khumalo's are late.
Avela: Late for what? (Confused)

They haven't told her?, oh now that explains the smile on her face.

Aunt: For the Lobola negotiations.
Avela: (She laughed) A lobola for who?
Aunt: For you.
Avela: Askies? (Shocked)
Aunt: They haven't told you? (Surprised)
Avela:(confused) They haven't told me what?
Aunt: That you are getting married.

She looked at me, then mom and dad whom were awfully quiet. Tears rolled down her cheeks.

Avela: Me? Avela Mkhize? Never!! (Crying) Mzwandile tell them that thus is not true, Ma-Dad, please.

We all kept quiet.

Avela: Tell them!! (She screamed)
Mzwa: Avela please, calm down.
Voice: Sikhulekile ekhaya KwaMkhize, Khabazela, Kamavovo, Gcwabe Kazihlandla!! (Screaming from the gate)

I don't know how, but the next thing that happened Avela fainted.

Mzwa: I'll take her to her room.

I picked her up and took her to her room. The lobola negotiations didn't stop, because The Khumalos were already here and this agreement was made many years ago. After everything was done they left with Avela and her clothes.