Chapter 9: Stephen

Navin POV:

Navin POV:

At 9 am, Ajay suddenly woke up after several hours and slowly tried to stand with my support.

As he turned around, he spotted a police officer on the other side of the cell, "Navin! Why is this officer in the cell? Why was he arrested? Let's discuss this with your brother."

I rose to my feet, showing him around, and stated, "Take a look, we're the ones in the cell, not him."

Ajay, still puzzled, looked at me and questioned, "Didn't you tell your brother that we're innocent?"

I replied, "I tried to call him last night, but he didn't pick up. Only a few minutes ago, he called me back, and I explained everything to him. He's on his way to the station."

"But who treated my injuries after I was unconscious?" Ajay asked, touching the bandage on his forehead.

"After you became unconscious, an ambulance arrived, and the doctor treated both you and that masked man. She is the one who told us that your condition is alright," I explained to him.

"I see, but what I don't understand is, who was the woman who hit me from behind? It's the first time I've seen her. And, I didn't see her clearly but dude, she attacked me as she had some decades of revenge against me. Do you know who she is?" Ajay asked, confusion palpable on his face.

"Her name is Nitya. Remember when you told me there was a woman unconscious next to the other masked man? That's her. She was confused and attacked you, mistaking you for the masked man," I said, chuckling.

"Don't laugh, Navin. How could she not tell who the masked man was?" Ajay said, his tone serious.

"He was wearing normal clothes, and the only thing that distinguished him from you was the mask, which you tore off. That's why she mistook you for him and attacked," I told him, noticing he understood the situation. He asked, "But where are those girls? Aren't they here? And where the hell is that masked man? It's all because of him don't you think?"

"They were here until now, the police didn't lock them in the cells. Instead, they were seated outside. And as for that masked man, just turn around, you will see him," I clarified his doubts.

Before Ajay could reply, the masked man, aka Stephen, said laughingly, "What a clown. To think I was beaten by someone like you makes me even more hate myself."

Ajay, looking at me, asked, "Navin, who is he? Don't tell me he is that masked man whom I beat the shit out of on the roof."

Stephen rose to his feet, approached Ajay, and said, "Do you think attacking us from behind with bottles makes you a real man? Just wait until we meet outside. Then I will break every bone in your fucking body."

"You're talking about being a man, you! Someone who drags women, terrorizes them, and enjoys making them beg for your own fun," Ajay said, disgust evident in his voice. He pulled a cigar from his pocket and lit it stubbornly.

Before he could take a puff, the constable interjected, "Ajay, stop smoking. Don't forget this is a police station, goddamn it." Ignoring the constable's warnings, Ajay glanced at him and replied, "I know, Chacha, but let me finish my conversation first, then I'll put out the cigar."

He then took a long puff and blew smoke in Stephen's face. "You want to break my bones, right? Then why wait until we meet outside? Let's settle this right here, right now," he challenged, his eyes burning with anger.

As Stephen raised his hand to strike Ajay, my cousin brother Rajesh, the sub inspector of police, shouted, "Stop this right now! This is a police station, not your house. Don't try to create any nuisance, do you understand?"

Stephen and Ajay agreed, and both sat down. Rajesh continued, addressing the constable, "Take Stephen and lock him in another cell."

Listening to the sub inspector, the constable locked Stephen in another cell. Turning to Ajay, who was seated beside me, I asked, "What are you thinking? Do you have a death wish or something? Why are you trying to make things worse?"

Glancing at me, Ajay snapped, "What are you saying? Are you telling me that it's my fault he came at me? Do you still think I fought him because I was eager to die? No, it's not about that. I beat him and even raised my voice against him because of how he treated her, dragged her through the mud, and insulted her. You should've been the one to kick his ass, but instead, I had to do it."

He continued, "Didn't you tell us how much you loved her back then?"

"It's all in the past, Ajay. We all know she loved someone else," I replied without meeting his gaze.

But he wasn't finished, "Let me tell you something, friend to friend. You loved her sincerely. Maybe she isn't meant for you and chose someone else, but when that person is in danger and being treated like a dog by this fucking maniac, you have to fight for her. Not because you loved her in the past, but because she's a human being just like us."

What he said was true. It should have been me confronting him, but I didn't do it. I always try to lecture him about everything, but today he lectured me and made me realize how stupid I was for being silent, for not reacting for her.

Lost in thought, I suddenly noticed Nitya and Trisha at the other side of cell. I couldn't tell if Trisha had overheard our conversation.