Eight. Two Knocks For No

It was twelve by the time Judith was dressed and downstairs on her second cup of coffee. The house was quiet, and the lonely woman once again was unsure if anything actually did happen.

She knew it had though, the evidence was all too real. There was no denying everything she felt in the bedroom and the kitchen were hundred percent real.

The question was however, what to do with this prominent factor. There was a ghost in her house and it had made love to her; more than once she would have guessed.

Judith shuddered at the remembrance that even after her first night in the house her buttons were undone in the morning.

Was that him? Did the spirit try to undress me on my first night? This thought brought up many more thoughts, some more daring and sinister than others.

Of course it's a him, I bet any man would do this after death if they had the chance, Judith thought crossly.

Being disgusted with herself as much as she was with the spirit, Judith wanted nothing more than to leave, but with nowhere to really go she felt compelled to stay and at least see out her tenancy.

She would simply just need to deal with the ghoul or find a way to get rid of it. Communication felt like a good place to start. Perhaps she could talk to it, or him, and find out what it/he wanted.

Easy, Judith thought but in reality, nothing.

"Maybe," Judith pondered out loud. There was always the possibility it may show itself when prompted.

"Hello!" She called. She did not really expect an answer. Why would there be? It was under no obligation to speak to her, nor was she sure that it could speak.

However, after a few long seconds of silence, Judith felt it. It started with the usual cool air dropping in temperature; Judith felt it on her bare arms almost instantly.

Judith took a deep breath as the goosebumps appeared on her arm. Something was near. It was near upon her.

"Is anyone there?" She asked nervously.

She inhaled deeper still as the sound of wood dragging across wood turned her focus towards the coffee table. Ollie was twisting on the spot, turning towards her.

"Who are you?" Judith asked the wooden owl.

A single knock on the table startled her.

"Wh-what do you want?" She stammered, and was answered by another single knock. While Judith was figuring out what to say another knock echoed The first.

A single tear drop watered her eye, there was no denying she was absolutely terrified. "Do you wish to communicate with me?"

A single knock replied.

Another very deep breath, "Do you mean me harm?"

Two abrupt knocks.

"I hope that means no," Judith replied with a sigh of relief. Mainly to herself but a single knock answered her anyway. "That's comforting." She answered.

Judith figured they had fallen into the yes/no game; one knock for yes, two for no. "Are there others here like you?" She asked with a prayer for no.

Two knocks replied.

Thats a relief, Judith half smiled. "Give me a moment."

Believing that no other time would call for more extreme measures, Judith went to the kitchen and returned two minutes later with a glass of wine. "For the nerves," she told the room. Her comment was answered only by silence.

"Let me think," she spoke softly to herself. "Are you trapped here?"

Two knocks.

"Are you happy?"

A long silence before the returned single tap.

"Of course, this is your home after all. Are you happy with me being here?"

The replying knock was quick and slightly louder than the all the others at that point.

Judith blushed, she had a sudden vision of herself on the kitchen counter that morning, I was their plaything, why wouldn't they be happy with my presence?

"Do you like me?" She asked innocently. The single knock brought a shy smile to her face. "Why are you here?"

No response.

Of course, that question was too open, Judith paused for a moment. "Would you like a cup of tea?" She smacked her forehead as soon as she had asked, How stupid.

Two taps as expected.

"My name is Judith. Do you have a name?"

A prolonged silence followed by a two-tapped reply.

"I'm sorry, maybe you have forgotten it. Since you don't seem able to talk, may I name you?"

The air in room began to feel different, more intensified. A knock sounded eventually but it felt reluctant.

"I am so sorry, I do not meant to treat you as a pet. I would just like to know a way that I could communicate easier," Judith responded with a little plea.

A single tap replied.

"How about Jersey? Ironically it was my dog's name, I know. He was a beautiful creature and I'm sure I can care for and love you as much as I did him."

A pause was followed by another reluctant tap.

"Yes, are you sure that's ok?" Judith asked eagerly.

Jersey replied with a more pleasant tap. Judith assumed it must have been happy with its chosen name.

"Ok, Jersey it is," Judith smiled. "I must tell Rose about this," Judith picked up her phone to text.

Two sharp knocks ceased her hand movements on the screen.

"Why not?" Judith questioned puzzlingly. Two more knocks responded. Judith placed the phone on the sofa next to her. "Fine, you win."

The air began to change again, it felt warmer and more relaxed. "Are you still here?" This time there was no response.

"Rude," Judith reached down for her empty mug to make more coffee; it was not where she left it and she suspected Jersey may have already carried out one of their OCD acts.

"What do we do now?" Judith said to herself as she walked into the kitchen. Her mug was already in the sink.

***

Word count- 9108