Eighteen. Holy Water and an Electric Rod

That night did not provide a very comfortable sleep. Jersey had kept an arm on some part of Judith all evening and well into the night after the affrighted woman found some sleep.

She was relieved that Jersey did not assault her with any form of sexual contact. She did not want it but knew she could not stop it. Instead Jersey showed a strange and horrible possessive side, and now Judith was left alone to wonder if that was worse than being pleasured unwillingly.

She had woken up to no spirit attached to her and thanked the air for such freedom. She did not know why Jersey had behaved the way they did but they certainly played the part Judith was warned about.

It was decided then that a plan was needed to loosen Jersey's hold on her. The book was still in the car that held the key on ghost repelling. Judith wondered if she should also get one of the crosses that protected Sheridan from her ghost.

With Jersey seemingly not in the bedroom, Judith snuck out of bed and quickly threw on a long dress and cardigan as it was the first and quietest thing she could grab. She descended the stairs quietly and unlocked the front door.

"I'm going to get wine!" She called and opened the door as fast as she could and shut it again behind her. She did not want to wait for any reply. Judith quickly paced to the car and drove off as soon as she had fired up the engine.

The book still lay on the passenger seat, untouched since Tuesday. She opted to find a coffee shop where she could sit and read it in peace.

Judith found one on the edge of town, she ordered a large cappuccino and found a seat to read the book.

After reading several pages of the history of the Neville name and various encounters with ghosts Judith flicked through the pages to find something that would be more useful to her own cause.

She landed on a chapter involving electromagnetic energy and how the ghost hunters used electric rods to send spirits to the other side. Useful, she thought, only she did not have one of these rods.

Somehow, she knew Sheridan would know about these rods or something similar. If she truly had met the people that dedicate themselves to the craft then she would have the means to a makeshift electromagnetic weapon.

Holy water was mentioned in the book as being a great conductor for the electromagnetic energy and should always be used where necessary.

"So I need to find some holy water and a great surge of electricity in the form of a weapon." Judith paused to digest all the information she had read. "Will a cattle prod do I wonder?" She hoped Sheridan would know.

Judith did not care that people looked her way when spoke to herself. Being thought of as weird was still better than what Jersey could do to her."

The holy water would be easy, she thought. All that was needed was a priest to bless her a glass or bucket full of water. It was the electricity that might prove to be an obstacle for her.

It took far longer than she would have liked but Judith eventually returned home with a five litre bottle of holy water. The priest near the library was almost too willing to help as soon as Sheridan's name was mentioned. The thought occurred to her that a great many people may have been aware of Jersey, or Mary, or whatever it was.

Once Judith had the blessed water she returned to the library to see what Sheridan had in mind to stop the ghost. It was obvious to Judith that the senior woman had contacts and probably the equipment to handle such things.

"How's the book?" Sheridan asked from the desk as soon as she saw Judith approach.

"I need help!"

"I know, dear," Sheridan replied politely. "How is Jersey?"

"Not going well," Judith replied sadly.

"So, how can I help you, Judith?"

Judith took a deep breath and told Sheridan everything about Jersey. Well, almost everything. Minus the intimate details.

"I want to get away from Jersey. You know how, tell me." Judith had a subtle plea in her voice.

"You want me to help you get rid of Jersey?"

"I want you to help free me," Judith replied.

"Come with me," Sheridan stood up from her desk and ushered Judith to follow her. She guided Judith to the back of the library and through a door to the back office.

Judith followed and shut the door behind herself. "This is very ominous," she said lightheartedly.

"I spent time with Neville's people. I have learnt a few techniques. None that I've been able to put into practice. Maybe you can."

"What do you mean?" Judith was curious.

"I'm guessing you read the book and the part on how to send a spirit across to the other side?" Sheridan said confidently knowing she had.

"Yes," Judith nodded.

"Right then, you can use this," replied Sheridan. She reached under a desk and pulled out a metal rod. She placed it on the desk in front of Judith.

"What the hell is that?" Judith reached out to touch the stick. "How did you get it?"

"Cost a few hundred. These things are not easy to come by."

Judith picked up the metal rod and examined the three foot length, "What am I supposed to do with this?"

Sheridan leaned over and pressed a button on the rod. It lit up blue at the end and started glowing halfway down the length. "Strike the spirit with this."

"I don't want to hurt Jersey." Judith said sternly, she waved the rod from side to side.

"You won't be, dear. They don't belong here. You'd be doing them great justice by sending them to the spirit realm where they belong."

"This is expensive, are you sure I can take it?"

"I'll be wanting it back. Go on, dear. You must go and help yourself and the spirit." Sheridan opened the door for Judith. "I hope you drove, that isn't exactly a legal weapon you can carry about the streets."

Judith looked uneasy and began holding the stick as if she was now carrying a blood-soaked machete.

She left the library at Sheridan's request. She held the rod close to her, keeping the rod slightly obscured.

"Good luck," were Sheridan's final words as Judith left.

***

Word count- 19498