Life and Death

Year 827

Year 827

3rd POV

A man, nearly his mid thirties, sat anxiously outside a home. His hands were intertwined as he held them in front of his face. His legs bounced with nerves. He was a tall man, built firm and muscular. His hair was blonde and his eyes were light blue. His body showed his anxiety, but his face remained completely calm. His daily life was deadly, yet he feared what he was about to face ten times as much.

He tensed and looked to his left as the front door opened, "Mr. Smith, Miss Bard made it through if you'd like to see her."

The smaller, dark haired man took a step back as the blonde stood to his intimidating height, "Thank you, Doctor Jeager."

Doctor Jeager was a meager man. He was frail, and pale with high cheekbones with light brown hair. He wasn't tall compared to the blonde, but he was an average height. He sent a weak smile to the blonde, "the baby is healthy. She came out strong."

The blonde side-eyed him, "she?" He mumbled to himself before heading in.

The house was small, but cozy. The woman who owned the home was a minimalist. If it took up too much space, she was quick to throw it out. Instead of a dining table, she ate outside at taverns or on her balcony. She had just enough dishes for her, and her only. At least that's what it looked like the first time he visited. Now, the home was covered in baby proofing and toys.

Walking up the stairs, he saw the first door on the left open. He stood in the doorway watching the woman who just gave birth. Her tanned skin now looked pale, she looked almost sickly. The nurses were still gathering up bloodied towels, but quickly left after spotting the man. He looked as carefree as usual, eyes almost reflecting all the death he'd witnessed.

The woman looked his way, exhaustion written all over her face, "Erwin," she called with a smile. "Come meet your daughter," she continued.

Slowly, he walked over. The closer he got, the more dread filled his being. He was terrified of the child. He refused to look at the child as he sat next to the woman. He'd brought so much death, seen so much blood and pain. He was afraid of tarnishing the girl. He would only taint her with his sin. He assisted in the making of another feast for the bloodthirsty giants outside the walls.

"Erwin, hold her please. I'm tired," the woman called to him again, this time holding the baby out to him as her arms slightly shook.

He hesitantly reached out for the child. He gently grabbed the child from the woman. She was quick to lean against the bedframe and close her eyes. He reluctantly looked away from the woman as the baby in his arms made a sound. The baby grumbled and twisted uncomfortably as he was holding the child in mid air. He brought the child closer to hold her to his chest. The noises stopped as it relished in the warmth his body put off.

His eyes traveled down the baby he held as it cuddled into him. He looked over its tiny figure. It was so small, so weak, so fragile, everything he was not. The more he looked at her though, the more at ease he became. The child seemed so relaxed that it eased him. He brought his bloodstained hand to her face, lightly pulling some blanket down from her face.