Is This What Love Is?

Year 848

Year 848

Three years had passed since the breach of Wall Maria in Shiganshia. Team Elira and Team Levi were joined together, only adding two new members along the way. Those members being Oluo and Gunther. Petra took quite a liking to Koa and the other members of the time were especially nice to Elira. Over time, Levi grew to tolerate Elira, mostly due to her skill as she was the only one who rivaled himself.

He probably liked her more than he'd ever admit. Like she did with Koa, she'd managed to break through his stone exterior. She treated him like an equal, like a person and not a titan killing machine. Though, if anyone really took that title it would be her.

Elira, due to Shiganshia, had more kills than anyone alive. She made history with having one hundred and thirteen titan kills, and took down over forty titans all by herself with no backup. She was also named the savior of Shiganshia as a little under a quarter of the town's population was saved thanks to her.

Elira hated the title. Thousands of people still died during the breach and the attempt to take it back. Without fixing the wall, or at least covering the hole, there was no hope in getting rid of the titans. No group of people could manage even a minute of repairs without dying. Reclaiming Wall Maria was a lost cause.

Elira sat by herself in the middle of a field in Wall Rose. She was thinking about the upcoming recruit graduation. Hers felt so far away. She'd participated in several more exhibitions by her fathers side. She'd made friends with the special operations squad members. She feared every time they went beyond the walls that one of them wouldn't make it back. She sighed as she picked at the grass.

She heard footsteps from behind her. They were hardly noticiable which gave away who was approaching. "Daydreaming again?" Levi said from behind her.

"I'm wondering about the recruits," she admitted.

"What about them?" he asked.

"Nothing in particular. Say Levi?" she began. He hummed in response. "How old are you?"

"I'm 26. Why?" he answered.

"How long until you got out of the underground?" she asked.

He hid his shock the same second it appeared, "I was fifteen."

"Does it ever leave you? The memories?" She continued pulling the grass.

"You forget at times, but no." he replied. She huffed. "Why are you asking such things?"

"It's been three years. I wanted to know why the pain still feels so fresh." She murmured.

"You lost people highly important to you. It'll heal." he assured.

She grinned, "how easy your life must be, Levi."

"What makes you say that?"

"You have no dreams. No ambition. You do as you're told and just survive. I'll never know what keeps a heart like yours beating. Maybe the fear of death. Maybe the pride of being the last man standing. It's a mystery, I think, to even you." She explained.