Chapter 11

Alessia

Did Dante not come home last night? The question hits me as I blink, bleary eyed at his untouched side of the bed.

I push up onto my elbows, a yawn falling from my lips as I check the time on my phone. It's almost lunch time, this is the latest I've slept in since I was a teenager. I tried to wait for Dante to get home so we could go to bed together but I gave up the fight around four this morning when I could no longer hold my eyes open. It didn't do much good though, due to the many times I randomly woke up, I feel as if I barely slept.

I force myself to get out of bed and trudge into the ensuite. One look around the room shows nothing is out of place. It's just as clean as it had been when I went to bed last night and my stomach sinks.

He really didn't come back.

Swallowing down the hurt that realization gives me I make my way toward the shower. My bare feet pad across the floor, the sunlight shining in from the skylights above warming the tiles. The ensuite reminds me of a homey spa. The room is painted sage green, the wood cabinets stained dark with gold hardware and matching faucets on the sinks, shower and tub. There's a set of his and hers sinks with two ornate mirrors rimmed in gold hanging above them. A large porcelain tub sits beneath one of the skylights and a big glass shower with two shower heads takes up one side of the room.

It's a sanctuary of peace and tranquility. I could easily picture myself spending hours soaking in the tub with the warm sun beaming down on me.

I reach in the shower, turning the water on before stripping out of the silky nightie I'd chosen to wear to bed last night.

Little good that did me when I slept alone.

I grab a washcloth and a towel from the cabinet, hanging the towel on its rack before slipping inside the shower. Rectangular tiles in various shades of deep green are placed vertically on its walls, giving the space a moody feel.

I step under the spray, closing my eyes, letting the hot water wash over my body and I soak the feeling up. It was weird being here without Dante yesterday. Nadia served me dinner and even after I insisted she stayed to eat with me she left me to eat by myself, saying she wasn't hungry, and I was alone for the rest of the night.

After dinner I unpacked my things and put my suitcases away. It unfortunately didn't take long so I had a lot of time on my hands and I honestly didn't know what to do with myself. I'd grown so used to Mamma constantly asking me wedding questions the silence was strange. I've only ever lived in a house with multiple other people, this is the most alone I've ever been. I don't like it.

I ended up roaming the house, I even went to the basement and took a look at the wine cellar and the gym Dante had told me about. I sent Emilia pictures and she gushed over how Dante's taste in decor matched mine so well.

Afterwards I watched a few movies in the living room and then I laid in bed and scrolled on my phone until I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer.

I can't help but be disappointed the first night spent in this house, what's supposed to be our home, Dante wasn't here. What was he doing that kept him away all night? Do I even want to know?

I quickly push the thoughts away and start washing off.

I'm sure there's an explanation for his absence, probably a reasonable one but why wouldn't he at least text me and let me know? My annoyance over the situation grows as I shower. I'm almost done when I hear a knock on the door.

"Alessia?" Dante's voice calls from the other side.

"Yes?" I ask, quickly rinsing the conditioner from my hair before shutting the water off and stepping out to grab my towel.