Chapter Six: Under The Rug

(David's POV)

      Only the word terrible could explain my morning. I did as I always would, but I constantly felt...rushed. I woke up on time, and made it to school on time, but I couldn't shake off the feeling of being rushed. It had taken over my entire morning.

      I had thought the situation between Missy and Romeo was water under the bridge, but I noticed Missy move her seat in class and sat next to another guy. They may have been friends, they may have not, but it really isn't my business. I still talked to Romeo as if nothing happened, but I noticed him begin to loose himself...sorta. I mean, no sane person would ask "how are you" to the same person three times within ten minutes.

      Something did feel weird between me and him though. Every time he had spoken a word to me, I felt as if a chain was pulling me an inch closer to him. I'm not sure how to explain it—maybe we were just closer as friends. I can't say I hated being close with him though. No one ever was this comfortable with me like he was.

      Class ended as soon as it started but I was in no way going straight home. It didn't matter if I stood in the park for a few hours, I just wanted to be free of the feeling that slapped me every time I walked in the door.

      "David. Let's uhh...let's go to my place or something."

      "Sure."

       "Are you like not excited at all?"

      "I am. I'm sorry."

      I wasn't sure if their drama was causing it, or if I had did something, but I did notice a not so slight change in Romeo's character over the last few days. I didn't bother overthinking about it either, I just continued pretending like nothing was wrong."

      "Wouldn't hurt to act like it."

      A slap on the back prevented him from speaking another word.

      "Hey, old sport! How's depression?" Dex then glanced over at me. "Oh, your boyfriend stood around I see."

      "I'm not like that, fuckface."

      I was shocked at Romeo's response. Not because he had stood up to Dex, but because of the anger he had built up to call him a name. Should I even be here right now?"

      "Oh," Dex chuckled.  "You were like that when you was making out with another man not too long ago."

      "I was experimenting, and it isn't any of your fucking business."

       Dex wetly kissed two of his fingers and tapped Romeo on the cheek with them.

      "Don't get hard from this, old sport."

      Romeo wiped his face as Dex made his way to his car. Shortly after the ordeal, I spotted Missy jogging towards her brother's car. She turned her head to the right and looked at us so I gave her a wave. A nice greeting.

      She looked at me for a moment but then threw her eyes back onto the car. They sped off, but Romeo couldn't care less. He was more worked up on the fact that Dex wiped his cheek with his saliva.

      "Let's just go. We should've been started walking."

      He was right. I grew sick of standing in front of the school. He didn't say it, but I just knew he wanted Missy back. The two were inseparable, until now. I could tell that the possibility of her not wanting anything to do with him ever again was eating at him like a pack of wolves. I still could help but take the blame for it though.

—————

      Romeo losing himself was an understatement. I felt sorry for him, but to think he was still sad over the situation instead of trying to fix it was honestly concerning. I think by now he could've talked with Missy and sorted things out.