3

Summary:

They were friends, and they were more.

But how far could their love truly go?

---

After that day, Cathy and I were inseparable.

In fact, we were so joint at the hip that it was rare seeing one of us without the other close by. We sat next to each other in classes, ate together during recess– we'd even begun spending time together outside of school after the second week of our first meeting.

Cathy and I became a team. A group. A group of just the two of us where we didn't need nobody else but each other. Though we'd also formed friendships with other people, at the end of the day, it was always just going to be me and her.

Strange thing was, I still couldn't explain why I'd felt the urge to help her that day.

At the time, it just felt like the right thing to do.

But something deep within me knew that that wasn't it.

That there was something more.

The whole scenario just felt so... familiar.

Almost as if I'd seen it all play out before, albeit a bit differently. The second I heard those taunting voices and saw the upset look on Cathy's face, my instincts suddenly kicked in and, well, you know what happened next. I'm just glad that in doing so, I got to meet one of the kindest and sweetest people I knew. Cathy radiated such a warm maternal aura about her– especially when she played around with that baby doll of hers. It was clear to me from day one that she obviously wanted to have a child someday, and whoever she chose to marry in the future was going to be one lucky motherfucker, 'cause she wouldn't just make a fantastic mother, but also a perfect wife.

If only I'd known how wrong I would be, when she ended up falling for the last person I'd expected her to choose...

Me.

_______________________________________

-Flashback-

"Alright, alright. How do you say 'I want money' in Spanish?"

"Quiero dinero."

"Qui-e-ro din-ero... Quiero dinero. Did I say that right?"

Cathy nodded, smiling fondly at her best friend as the other confidently repeated the phrase to himself. After a moment, she decided to muster up the courage and place a hand over Luxy's, proceeding to then utter another sentence in Spanish– one that she knew Luxy didn't know, but deep down hoped would understand.

"Te quiero, Luxy."

Unfazed by the hand contact, Luxy turned to Cathy with a huge grin.

"Ohh, what does that mean?"

The only answer Luxy received was a light squeeze on his hand and a longing look in Cathy's eyes.

Then it clicked, and a blush crept upon Luxy's face.

"You–...?"

Cathy ducked her head shyly and nodded.

A silence fell upon the two 10 year olds, but it wasn't a bad kind of silence – far from it, actually.

Not even when Luxy pulled his hand away from under Cathy's own.

Or when he slowly reached for it again to intertwine their fingers together.