10

Summary:

A reunion doesn't go as planned.

But nothing is stronger than a mother's love for her son.

Note:

This continues right where the last chapter left off.

---

Bobby gave Luxy's shoulder a comforting squeeze before moving towards the bleeding body on the floor. "Come on, Donovan. Let's burn this fucker in a dumpster."

"Bobby, wait–"

The terrorist shot his wife a stern look, which wasn't something he normally did.

"Bryce, I love you, but for fuck's sake, woman! Just talk to him!"

Donovan pulled out a body bag from inside his suit jacket, and together, he and Bobby stuffed the dead man inside and proceeded to leave Luxy and Bryce alone in the CEO's office. The moment the door closed behind them, the mother and son were left in uncomfortable silence. Bryce nervously bit the inside of her cheek before finally speaking up again.

"You've grown so much since the last time I saw you."

"Uh, yeah. It's called aging, Ma." Luxy rolled his eyes as his tone dripped with sarcasm. Bryce frowned.

"Y-yes, I know but–"

"Oh just cut to the chase already!" Luxy suddenly snapped, glaring at the woman who had birthed him. "I've waited long enough for this moment, alright? So out with it, mother."

The CEO nodded solemnly as a shaky breath escaped her lips, but before she could utter her apology, she's interrupted by a knock at the door and the voice of one of her younger assistants.

"Herman, this really isn't the time..."

The door opened regardless as the short-haired assistant held up Bryce's phone. "But ma'am, the caller says it's urgent."

Luxy saw the conflicted look on his mother's face and decided to save her from making the tough decision.

"Just take the call, Ma."

"Luxy, no, I'm sure it can–"

"It can't wait, ma'am," Herman butted in as he entered the CEO's office. Once at her desk, he handed Bryce her phone along with a sparkling glass of champagne. Bryce couldn't remember asking for a drink, but Herman was already out the door before she could question him about it. Sighing, she downed the drink in one swig before turning her back to Luxy as she put the phone to her ear.

"You have five minutes to speak, and if you're only going to waste my time, I suggest you end this call now before I do it myself," She threatened in a low voice.

"Oh, believe me, Ms. Tankthrust, the only thing ending here soon will be your reign once I get rid of you." The caller chuckled condescendingly, which only managed to make Bryce's blood boil as her grip on her phone tightened.

"Listen here, dipshit, I've survived hundreds of assassination attempts in the last four years of my life and, guess what? Not a single one has even come close to actually succeeding," Bryce boasted proudly. "So, what makes you think you're capable of doing the impossible?"

"Ah, you're right. So silly of me to assume I could ever manage to topple the mighty Bryce Tankthrust."

"You got that right, stupid."

"Mhmm, yes. Just... answer me this, Bryce. How'd you like your drink?"

"My dri–" Bryce's stomach dropped as her gaze landed on the now empty champagne glass sitting tauntingly at her desk.