Inescapable Future

(This is a Gojo's sister story!)

Summary/General idea: Mirai is a cursed user. Well, almost. On her first mission to prove herself to the organization that's been training her ever since she was kidnapped as a child, she fails and happens to run into someone who will change her life forever.

Note: So, I wrote this first chapter a while ago, while I was still just starting with third person POVs. It's not that great, but the writing for the second half of the second chapter and the rest are better! Please keep that in mind :)

Chapters so far (as of February 8th, 2024): 3 complete, 1 in progress (4 total)

Status: Not published

Chapter 1 ~ Assignment

It was dark. Infinitely dark. As the girl opened her eyes to the familiar lack of light, she knew she was still there. Still in that dark place.

When the first sign of blinding light that morning arrived at her door, she knew it was time. Her day would start as usual, with her daily training routine. This would continue everyday until she was good enough. Until they deemed her worthy to take her first steps outside.

Run, fight, push ups, weapon training, fight with knives, eat if she did well enough, fight, be examined, run, eat, fight, sleep.

She wasn't sure at what point it all became undeniably normal for her, but it wasn't as though she had much to compare it to. This was her life, and it had been like that since long before she could develop any sense of what 'normal' should be like.

But today, something felt odd. It was different. When her source of light brought her down a hall she had rarely been to, she knew that something was wrong. No one goes here unless it's important. This is where the leader is, after all. Only the voluntary or official members of the organisation had the authorisation to be here unless otherwise ordered.

There were secrets hidden in this hallway, with various rooms holding important artefacts, and various rooms for secret experiments to take place. None of her kind ever wanted to be brought to this hallway to go to one of those rooms. It never seemed to go well when they did.

When her source of light passed the forbidden rooms, the girl was mentally relieved. Today was not going to be that day. Not for her. Not yet.

When her source of light reached the door at the end of the hallway, they knocked before opening the door to the leader's office. There, the leader sat in his chair in his room that was lit with an actual overhead light, different from the source of light from the torch being carried by one of the organisation's members that had brought her here. The light in here is brighter than the light in the training rooms, the cafeteria and the lab (the non-secretive one).

"I have seen your recent progress. As such, I will give you a trial. If you succeed in this assignment, I may reconsider your situation." The leader told her. The girl stood silently, and the leader took it as a sign of her agreement to take on the mission. After explaining her task, the leader ordered the girl to be brought outside, to the member responsible for observing her first mission.

When she took her first steps outside, the girl was blinded by the bright light that seemed to attack her slightly grey-ish light blue eyes. She looked down, trying to avoid having her eyes directed anywhere near the sun. When she saw the pieces of her hair resting over her shoulder, the girl had to take a moment to process the golden brown colour. It had never looked so light to her, and she wondered if her hair before would have seemed even lighter. What was her hair colour before, anyway? She could hardly remember it anymore.