When I Go

When I go, I hope you are not sad. Please be happy for me.

I tried for a long time to stay, but this battle of mine finally must finish. I cannot answer whether I won or lost, so I'd like to think of it as a draw.

Sometimes things will come to an end, will pass us by, and leave us with so many questions unanswered. So many things forever unsaid. I want you to know I have found all my answers, and I have no more questions.

The regrets I have I know I cannot fix, and I have accepted this as truth.

Please do not be sad when I am gone. Do not be angry with yourself or others for not trying harder to keep me around. It is no one's fault.

I have been fighting this war with myself for too long. I'm done. I'm okay now. I hope wherever I go is easier. Or my next life doesn't hurt so much. 

Please just be happy. Or at least if you are sad, do not dwell in it. You have so much more to do in life than mourn my parting. Please do not let me keep you from living.

I feel me in the soft breeze, the warm sun, the crisp cold of winter, and that piping hot cup of tea that has probably gone cold.

You will see me in the gentle glow of the moon, the cats that pass you by, in a butterfly's wings, and in how some of your phrases used to be mine.

So do not mourn me for long. Do not hold any anger or resentment to anyone. Please know I will be with you. You only have to stop and look around.