1.4

Will: [sharpening his sword]  When I was a lad living in England, my mother raised me by herself. After she died, I came out here, looking for my father.

"Ooh, I remember what happens now," Jack says excitedly. Will slumps down in his seat. Luna looks up at the screen, intrigued as to what might happen next.

Jack: Is that so?

Will: My father, Will Turner. At the jail, it was only after you learned my name that you agreed to help. Since that's what I wanted, I didn't press the matter. I'm not a simpleton, Jack. You knew my father.

Jack: I knew 'im. Probably one the few who knew him as William Turner. Everyone else just called him Bootstrap or Bootstrap Bill.

Will: Bootstrap?

Jack: Good man. Good pirate. I swear you look just like him.

Will: It's not true. He was a merchant sailor. A good, respectable man who obeyed the law.

Jack: He was a bloody pirate, a scallywag.

Will: My father was not a pirate. [takes out his sword]

Jack: Put it away, son. It's not worth you getting beat again.

Will: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd've killed you.

Jack: Then that's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it? [moves one of the sails so that the yard catches Willand swings him out over the sea] 

Jack laughs while Luna looks at the ship, interested in how it works. Many of the students laugh at Jack's actions and Will's misfortune.

Jack : Now, as long as you're just hanging there, pay attention. The only rules that really matter are these what a man can do and what a man can't do. For instance, you can accept that your father was a pirate and a good man or you can't. But pirate is in your blood, boy, so you'll have to square with that someday. Now, me, for example, I can let you drown but I can't bring this ship into Tortuga all by me onesy, savvy? So? [swings him back on board and offers him his sword] Can you sail under the command of a pirate? Or can you not?

Will: [takes the sword] Tortuga?

Jack: Tortuga. [on the island] More importantly, it is indeed a sad life that has never breathed deep this sweet, proliferous bouquet that is Tortuga, savvy? What do you think?

Elizabeth told the students. "That's a lie. Tortuga is an absolute hellhole. If you value your health and safety, avoid the island at all costs."

Will: It'll linger.

Jack: I'll tell you mate, if every town in the world were like this one, no man would ever feel unwanted.

Jack: Scarlett! [she slaps him] Not sure I deserved that. 

The students laugh.

Jack: Giselle!

Giselle: Who was she?!

Jack: What? [she slaps him] I may have deserved that.

The students laugh even more.

---------------

Gibbs: [Jack throws a bucket of water at him] Curse you for breathing, you slack-jawed idiot! Mother's love! Jack ! You should know better than to wake a man when he's sleeping. 'S bad luck.