Chapter 11: All these men in my life

CHAPTER 11

Arya Crawford

"Why do we need the rules sheet again?"

He snatched the paper from my hand and began to read it.

"Because you're going to break every rule on it."

My eyes widened. "What? No!"

"Yes." He smirked. "Lets create a rebel, shall we?"

I reached out for the paper but he moved it away from me.

"Carter, no. Come on, Carter. Give it back."

Every time I tried to reach for it, he'd hold it higher until I was standing on my toes, trying desperately to get a hold of it.

Instinctively, I placed my left hand on his waist as I kept jumping for that stupid piece of paper. But each time, it seemed a little bit further away. Damn this boy and his height.

After a few minutes of struggling to reach the bloody rule sheet, I suddenly became very conscious of the uncomfortably close proximity of our bodies. And the fact that while I had been jumping for the paper like a dog would for a treat, Carter had been staring at my face, which was mere inches away from his, with such intensity that I felt ready to melt under his gaze.

I stopped jumping and immediately retracted my hand, suddenly feeling my body grow hot. Before I had a full on anxiety attack, I quickly distanced myself from him and after moving a safe distance away, began to pull his shirt off over my head.

Once off, I tossed it to him but he made no move to put it back on which was rather maddening, considering the unwanted effect his nakedness was having on me. He walked to the table and placed it there instead, alongside the rule sheet he had straightened out on it.

He was looking down at the sheet when he sniggered.

"What kind of pathetic rules are these?"

I had to admit. They were pretty stupid, save a few. But we had to follow them nonetheless.

1. Do not develop feelings for an inmate.

2. Be accompanied by a Correctional Officer at all times.

3. Inform a Correctional Officer before going anywhere.

4. Do not enter the Records Room, unless asked otherwise.

5. Do not bring any unauthorized or dangerous/sharp items into the prison. Example; scissors, razor blades, pocket knives etc.

6. Do not lend or give any personal items to inmates.

7. Report any suspicious activity you see among inmates to the Correctional Officers or to the Warden.

8. Do not take part in any suspicious or unauthorized activity individually or in accordance with inmates.

9. Entrance to any of the Blocks is prohibited.

10. Entrance to Ad Seg is prohibited.

"Rules are rules, Carter."

"Yeah, you would say that." He grinned without looking up.

I raised an eyebrow, irritated. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Never mind. Okay so, these rules are fairly simple to break. Try to come up with ways to break them yourself. I'd like to see some creativity there."

"Carter, I can't come up with-"

He held up his hand to silence me. I immediately shut my mouth.