Chapter 6: High on life

CHAPTER 6

Arya Crawford

Day three at the prison and I felt like I was getting the hang of it. The tiny problems I was having were all resolved. I woke up this morning to a whole basket of skittles on my room's doorstep, courtesy of an older brother. And I finally knew how to handle Reynolds. I felt confident. I felt in control.

But then again this is me we're talking about. I had to go and do something to spoil my composure and confidence. And, ofcourse, I did.

Since it was decided that during my session with Reynolds, we wouldn't be doing any work until he told me his name, I thought, 'why not relax and watch an episode of Game of Thrones during that time? He wouldn't care anyway.' Here's why not.

Today's session was supposed to take place in an empty room in the Psych Ward because as it happens, 'Fred' was still being punished for the fight he had gotten into. Some repainting had to be done.

Without wasting time, I made my way, along with Officer Grady, to the Psych Ward and walked into the room to be renovated to find it empty. No sign of my punished con. So, I dragged a chair to the middle of the room where a large wooden table with paint tins was placed. I moved the tins a little, pulled out my laptop from my bag and put it on the table in front of my chair and sat down.

Officer Grady promised he'd be right outside the door at all times during the session. But knowing him, he'd probably sneak back to the CO break room to watch the FIFA world cup match happening between Netherlands and Costa Rica. That's exactly what happened. After literally one minute of me being inside the room, I heard him shuffle away ever so quietly.

I glanced back at the door one last time before putting one headphone into my ear, letting the other one dangle. So that if anyone walked in, I'd know.

See, the thing about Game of Thrones, apart from its brilliant story line, is that its known for being a bit graphic.

Fifteen minutes into the episode, there was a foursome playing out on the screen.

Okay, Game of Thrones is very graphic.

During the whole scene, I was afraid of two things.

1- I would accidentally look at the laptop screen and be scarred for life. Since I was looking everywhere but the screen. Why didn't I just skip the scene? Well because the things being said during this scene were very important in regards to future events. That was another thing about Game of Thrones. It's like they're forcing you to watch sex.

2- I was afraid of someone walking into the room at that exact moment. I was literally petrified of this thought.

And guess what happened? I didn't realize that someone had indeed walked into the room and had seen a lot of what was happening on screen.

"Oh wow.." I heard a low, surprised voice behind me.

I flew out of my seat, covered the laptop screen with the front of my body by standing in front of it and yelped an explanation, wide eyed. "It's not what it looks like!"

"Yeah, that definitely doesn't look like porn." Reynolds was standing in the doorway in his dark blue overalls, shock eminent on his face, eyebrows raised and mouth slightly agape.

I wanted to die. Ever felt like crawling into a dark hole and never wanting to come out? This was worse. I wanted to die and be buried. Don't give me a proper funeral, I don't care. Just hide my face.

"No, you don't understand! It's a show. A TV series." My cheeks were burning.

"You don't have to watch shows for porn, you know. Just search it up on the internet."