Chapter 24: Heal

CHAPTER 24

Arya Crawford

How long does it take for a wound to heal?

A week? A month? A year?

If I asked you this question, you'd counter question me and ask about the severity of the wound. All wounds heal, yes, but how long it takes is all relative.

Physical or emotional, they all heal. The healing process, however, is very painful. Some might even argue that the pain felt during the healing process outweighs that felt when the wound was inflicted.

My friends, Jackson and Megan were in their healing process, or rather fighting me about entering it.

Both weren't sure what should be done about their situation and both were too stubborn to do what I was suggesting, which was to talk it out amongst each other instead of constantly complaining to me about the other.

They both needed to heal whether they agreed with me or not and I was being pushed to my limit as a patient friend because both of them asked for my advice and when I gave it to them, they didn't act on it and instead complained some more before again asking me the same irritating question of what they should do.

By the time I parted ways with Megan in the small kitchen meant for the COs of the prison and stopped replying to Jackson's messages, I was extremely irked.

I walked out of the building, heading for the yard for my session with Arthur Winston. He had requested the session be outside today because of the pleasant weather while he helped the group of inmates part of PI work on the shed in the middle of the green ground that was being turned into a small guard breakroom.

I wasn't sure how a man his age would be helping with all the strenuous work but I didn't argue when the CO opened the metal fence to let me through onto the vast ground.

My eyes drifted to the spot where the fight had broken out about ten days ago that had resulted in me almost having a heart attack. I diverted my eyes again and rolled my shoulders that had suddenly gotten tensed at the memory.

Officer Stolte and I slowed to a stop a few feet away from the wooden shed where I could hear the sounds of inmates working and talking.

"There are about eight inmates in that shed and five officers right outside. We'll be right here for you but you don't have to go inside if you don't want to."

I looked at him and shook my head. "No, its okay, I'll go inside."

"Yeah? You sure? Okay. So stay close to the door at all times and keep it open. You can leave at any time if you're not comfortable and if any of those shits even looks your way funny, you call for us immediately. Immediately. You got that?"

I nodded my understanding and walked to the open door of the shed when the officer dismissed me.

My arrival into the shed stopped everyone from fussing over whatever was the problem and they all turned to look at who'd just come in.

Of the eight inmates I knew four faces well. Arthur, Zack, Carter and Adam, the mentee I had handed off to Logan. Three of the faces were new to me but the eighth remaining inmate was the one I had seen Carter talking to the day of the fight. The one with the calculating eyes and authoritative aura.

"Hello, Arya." Arthur was seated closest to the door on a chair with a clipboard in his hands.

His greeting broke the silence and everyone resumed what they had been doing again as Zack approached me.

"Hey, Arya! Wasn't expecting to see you here."

"Neither was I, honestly. I didn't know you and Carter were part of PI. Or Adam for that matter."