Chapter 7: Shitting rainbows

CHAPTER 7

Arya Crawford

It was time to go home but I had one last thing to do before leaving.

I knocked on the door to the warden's office twice before entering.

The warden was seated behind his large desk, thin-framed spectacles perched atop his nose, going through some papers. He looked up and gave me a smile, motioning for me to come take a seat on one of the leather chairs placed in front of his desk.

"What can I do for you, Arya?"

I took my spot on the chair and let my bag slide down the side to the floor.

"Uncle Gorden, I was in the Psych Ward today. In one of the rooms that is being renovated. I noticed its being painted white again."

"Yes, well, isn't that what it's always been?"

"Exactly. It's always been white. White is so boring and never ending. I was thinking; it would be so much better to add a little colour to the rooms. I read some psychological studies that suggest coloured surroundings help patients fare better. I asked the head of the medical staff at the ward and he thought it would be a good idea. But ofcourse, I wanted to ask your opinion and permission."

He gave me a loving smile. "If you think it's a good idea then by all means, go for it. I trust you."

My face lit up. "Thanks Uncle Gorden! And one more thing. I want to help paint it."

"Don't you have cons to mentor?"

"I do. But one of my mentees is already working there as part of his punishment. I could help out when its time for his session. That way I can paint and mentor him at the same time."

"Looks like you have it all figured out." He chuckled. "Okay, then I give you permission."

"Thanks, you're the best!" I stood up, pulling my bag up along with me and turned towards the door but stopped when he spoke.

"Oh, Arya. Before you leave, I wanted to say that after you're done at the Psych Ward, please come into the records room next week. We've got new cons coming and I need all the files sorted. You can have a look at their cases." He winked.

I grinned widely. "Sounds like a plan. Will do."

"Oh and another heads up. New interns from another school will also be coming in next week. You'll have a chance at making more friends. Apart from Megan."

I rolled my eyes. "I do have friends, uncle."

I quickly walked out before he could say anymore and shut the door behind me.

I scanned the hall for a head of long blonde hair and spotted Megan walking out of the building. Quickly rushing to catch her, I ran so fast I crashed into her from behind and we fell like a mess on the floor. The officers there turned to give us strange looks.

"Sorry!" I squealed, getting up.

Megan groaned and rubbed her left knee as she stood up. "What's all the excitement about?"

"Uncle Gordon gave me the go ahead for the psych ward repainting thing I told you about!"

"Hey, that's awesome!" She matched my grin.

"Right? Hey, lets go buy the paint right now. I want to get started as soon as possible." We started to walk towards the main gate.

"Oh my god, yes! Lets go shopping! I really need to get some new shoes."