Chapter 2: Today's the day

CHAPTER 2

Arya Crawford

The sunlight, pouring in from the open window, along with the constant chirping of birds woke me up before the alarm clock could.

I turned to look at the time from amid several fluffy baby blue pillows to see a blinking 6.30am. I stretched my arms and sat up straight in bed, smiling to myself in excitement.

It was summer break but I wasn't too mad about having to wake up so early because today was my first day working at the prison. I threw the covers off myself and ran into the bathroom to take a quick cold shower.

By 6.55am I was dressed and ready. Already downstairs, I literally skipped towards the front door, grabbing a shiny red apple on the way. However, I stopped midway, contemplating on whether to wake my parents up to tell them I was leaving but then decided against it. They had barely had any sleep on the plane last night, returning from my distant aunt's funeral in England.

And knowing my distant family in England, I knew for a fact that my parents' social battery would be at an all time low.

I quickly grabbed a notepad from the kitchen counter and scribbled a note saying that my internship was starting today and that if they needed me they should call on my cell phone or contact Uncle Gordon, and stuck it on the refrigerator door with a Spongebob magnet.

Satisfied, I left the house with my spare door keys and side-sling bag to meet up with my best friend, Megan, and the others at the bus stop.

~*~

Carter Reynolds

The weight of a mammoth on my bare back woke me up before the blaring prison bell could.

I turned my head around in a state of breathlessness to see Zack's ecstatic face merely inches away from mine.

"WAKE UP, C! Today's the day!" He screamed in my ear.

I am officially deaf in one ear now.

"Damn it. Zack. Get off me!"

I pushed my hands hard against the mattress to hold myself up on my arms, going into plank position. This action threw Zack, who was comfortably seated on my back, onto the cement floor with a thud. He paid no heed to the floor and got up as swiftly as he was thrown off. Undeterred.

It was like he was stuck on repeat. A broken record player. "Today's the day! It's gonna happen today. Can you believe it? Cuz I sure can't."

I rubbed my eye with the palm of my hand, groggily. "What the fuck are you talking about? What's happening today?"

Before I knew it, my cellie was standing inches away from me yet again with his hands cupping my face. "Girls, papi. They're coming today. The interns!"

I planted my palm firmly on his face and pushed him hard. He staggered back a few paces but his grin only became bigger by the second. It was so big I thought his face would crack at the edges of his lips.

I couldn't hold back the smile that was forming on my own lips at his childish antics so I put my face into the pillow to hide him from seeing it. He didn't need any more encouragement.

"Give it a rest, papi. You've been at it since yesterday." I mumbled against the lumpy pillow.

He either didn't hear what I said or chose to ignore it because there was no stopping Zachery Gonzalez once he set his mind to impressing the interns when they got here.