Chapter 5

Kira POV

Today was officially my first day of work as a maid. And if it weren't for my heightened senses, the sisters wouldn't catch my attention. After Alcina explained to me last night what my tasks would be, I couldn't complain.

I was just on my way to wake up Alcina when I heard the faint buzzing of three swarms of flies not too far from me. According to Alcina, it always takes a certain amount of time for the three of them to wake up. And now they're awake and following me.

Before I could reach Alcina's chambers, another maid appeared in front of me. I looked at the maid. She seemed nervous as she stood before me. "I don't bite. Is there something you want to tell me?" I asked her now.

"There's a book that's been brought for you. I've placed it in your room".

"Thank you... I don't even know your name. I'm Kira, and you are?"

"Excuse me for my lack of manners. I'm Katerina. Very nice to meet you, Kira."

"Katerina? The pleasure is all mine. A good friend of mine is also named Katerina," I said, and then I heard the buzzing of a swarm of flies rapidly approaching.

"Don't you have work ahead of you that you need to do?" I asked now. Knowing what happens to maids who slack off, and not wanting anything to happen to her, I thought it best to warn her.

When she heard what I said, she went pale. "I have to help with breakfast preparation. I have to go before one of the daughters catches me," she said, then hurried away.

Before I could continue walking, I heard someone manifesting behind me. "Where is the maid who was with you? She has been away from her work for too long and must be punished for it," I heard Cassandra's voice say behind me.

I turned to Cassandra and bowed briefly. "She informed me that a book had arrived for me and that she had brought it to my room. After that, she went straight to the kitchen. Is there anything else I can do for you, Lady Cassandra?" I said to her.

Cassandra scrutinized me from head to toe until I saw a sadistic grin on her lips. I could guess what she wanted from me now. "I don't know how, but you warned her. That's why she's not here anymore. So I'm going to punish you now," Cassandra said. I just shook my head and turned to walk away.

"Lady Cassandra, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I must continue and wake your mother. I don't want to get in trouble on my first day," I said. As soon as I said this, I stepped aside as Cassandra threw her scythe at me.

I continued on my way, leaving a bewildered Cassandra standing in the hallway.

Cassandra POV

I stared at the spot where the new maid had stood just moments ago. I couldn't believe she had evaded my scythe so easily. I should have hit her squarely in the back, but she sidestepped it. Then I heard the swarms of my sisters, and shortly after, Bela and Daniela stood before me.

"Cass, everything alright? You look like you've seen a ghost," I heard Bela say now. "We heard you talking to Mother's new maid and wanted to know what was going on. Where is she anyway?" Daniela said now, looking around.

"She evaded my scythe. She warned another maid that I was coming. So I wanted to punish her for it. I threw my scythe at her, and she just sidestepped it. I should have hit her in the back, but nothing of the sort happened," I said to the two of them. Daniela and Bela looked at me in astonishment as I told them how she had simply dodged my attack.

"No one can predict our attacks. We should keep a close eye on her. I don't trust her. Mother is giving her too much trust," Bela said to us. Dani and I nodded, then dissolved back into our swarms as breakfast was about to be served.

3rd Person POV

Kira stood in Alcina's room, assisting her as she put on her dress. She had also told Alcina about the encounter with Cassandra and how she had thrown her scythe at her. "I warned you, they can be very playful, but since you dodged Cassandra's attack, they may keep a closer eye on you now. Come, let's go to the dining room," Alcina said now.

Kira nodded and followed Alcina to the dining room. As soon as they entered the room, all eyes were on them. Kira felt the daughters' gazes on her, but she remained unfazed.

After Alcina had seated herself, the other maids brought in the breakfast. Kira noticed Katerina carrying a tray with four wine glasses, and judging by the contents, Kira could guess what was inside. Cassandra, still upset that Kira had evaded her, now saw Katerina as her next target.

As Katerina set down the glass at Cassandra's place and tried to move on, Cassandra gave her a little shove. Katerina lost her balance, and before she could drop the remaining three glasses, Kira had caught her and held the tray steady.

"Everything okay?" Kira asked with concern. She had seen exactly what Cassandra had done. Alcina, who had also noticed, smiled slightly as she saw Kira's reaction. It seemed that Kira had found a friend in Katerina. And she realized that Katerina was the maid Cassandra wanted to punish, but couldn't because of Kira.

"The rest of you can leave. I'll call you when it's time to clear the table. Kira, serve the remaining glasses," Alcina said. "Yes, Mistress," the others said, then left the room. Kira went around the table and served Daniela and Bela their glasses. She then placed the last glass in front of Lady Dimitrescu.

"Thank you. Wait in the corner until we're finished. I'll need to talk to you about the research later," Lady Dimitrescu said to Kira. Kira nodded and went to the corner, waiting until the four were done with breakfast.

Kira's quick reaction to catch Katerina didn't escape the sisters' notice, especially since Kira was the farthest from the table. They wondered how she could be so fast to reach the table.

The sisters exchanged looks that revealed a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. It seemed like they were contemplating what they had just witnessed and what role Kira would play in their lives at the castle. Lady Dimitrescu and Kira left the dining room, leaving the sisters behind.

"We need to find out who she is. No ordinary person is that fast."