Chapter 4: Oh, Not Slytherin

(Dumbledore and Snape are alive in this book.)

The train slowed down and finally stopped. People shuffled out onto a tiny and cramped platform.

"Firs' years and new students over here! C'mon, now! I'm Hagrid, by the way." A gruff voice called. A very, very tall and large man came into view, gesturing for them to follow him. Reyna waved good-bye to Hermione and Ginny as they were separated. As they walked, Reyna looked to see who else had received the letter to attend during 8th year. She was surprised to see that she recognized quite a few of them. Gwendolyn, Dakota, Clarisse, and a few others. 

"Reyna? Asher? You guys got here too?" Gwen asked in excitement. They nodded. Dakota smiled in recognition while Clarisse just grunted. They reached a lake with a fleet of small boats waiting in the water. Asher and Reyna got into one, followed by Gwen and Dakota. 

"FORWARD!" Hagrid shouted. The boats suddenly began to move themselves. A dark shape came into view. A castle, with countless towers and battlements. The first years gasped in unison and awe. Reyna scoffed. She was sure she wasn't that easily impressed when she was their age.

They soon reached land. Everyone got out of their boats and followed Hagrid as he led them to a great oak door. He knocked once.

A stern looking woman opened the door. "Thank you, Hagrid. Now, anyone who's not a first year, follow me quickly." 

The older teenagers parted from the crowd and followed the lady. As they moved inside the castle, they approached another door. Reyna could hear laughter and noise coming from the room behind it.

"Now, you all will be sorted before the first years. I expect you to be dignified about this, especially since you're older. There are four houses for you to be sorted into. Gryffindor, for the brave. Ravenclaw, for the intelligent. Hufflepuff, for the loyal. And Slytherin, for the ambitious and cunning. Your victories will earn your house points. Any failure will result in a deduction of points. At the end of each year, the house with the most points is presented with the House Cup. We will go into the Great Hall to procced with the sorting. Oh, and my name is Professor McGonagall." She said, finishing her very long explanation. McGonagall opened the doors and the students inside fell silent. 

They walked in a line, waiting in front of a dirty-looking wizard's hat on a stool. The hat, out of nowhere, then started singing. (IDK what the song is.)

Once the hat was finished, Professor McGonagall started calling names out from a long list. 

"Emerson, Asher!" Asher sat on the stool, unsure of what to do. Then he put the hat on. As soon as the hat touched his head, it screamed "GRYFFINDOR"

The table on the left cheered and clapped for him as he made his way to the table and sat down. The names kept going until-"Ramirez-Arellano, Reyna!"

Reyna sat down and put the dirty hat on. Suddenly, a voice spoke to her in her mind.

"Hello, daughter of Bellona."

"Ah! Who in the name of Olympus are you?"

"I'm the hat."

"Of course the stupid hat can talk...."

"I'm right here, you know! Anyway, I have to look inside your head and decide what your house is going to be. So zip it for a second."

The hat was silent for a moment.

"You've been through a lot, demigod. I was going to put you into Gryffindor, but I think Slytherin would suit you better."

"Dang it, isn't that the house that Dark wizards are sorted in? And that Voldemort guy?"

"You will be great in Slytherin. I am never wrong."

"SLYTHERIN!" The hat screamed. The table in the middle erupted into applause, but Reyna could see that it was only half-hearted. She sat down, next a boy with white blond hair and silver-gray eyes. A tall, old man with a long beard stood up and began making a speech. Reyna wasn't even listening and nearly fell asleep as she realized just how tired she was. 

(Time skips after the feast and when they are in their dormitories.)

Reyna plopped down on the silver and green bed and slept peacefully. After all, it had been a long day...and she suspected it would be an even longer day tomorrow.