1.4 |𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲 𝐉𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐭: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

~⚡~{[CHAPTER FOUR]}~⚡~

[Percy Jackson the Idiot: The Collection]

AS THE LAST passengers got onto the Greyhound bus, Annabeth clamped her hand onto Percy's knee. "Percy."

An old lady had just boarded the bus. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, and a shapeless orange-knit hat that shadowed her face, and she carried a big paisley purse. When she tilted her head up, her black eyes glittered, and his heart skipped a beat.

It was Mrs. Dodds. Older, more withered, but definitely the same evil face.

He scrunched down in his seat.

Behind her came two more old ladies: one in a green hat, one in a purple hat. Otherwise they looked exactly like Mrs. Dodds—same gnarled hands, paisley handbags, wrinkled velvet dresses.

Triplet demon grandmothers.

They sat in the front row, right behind the driver. The two on the aisle crossed their legs over the walkway, making an X. It was casual enough, but it sent a clear message: nobody leaves.

The bus pulled out of the station, and they headed through the slick streets of Manhattan. "She didn't stay dead long," Percy said, trying to keep his voice from quivering. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

"I said if you're lucky," Daisy said, having woken up from her nap. "You're obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whimpered. "Di immortales!"

"It's okay," Annabeth said, obviously thinking hard. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem. We'll just slip out the windows."

"They don't open," Grover moaned.

"A back exit?" she suggested.

There wasn't one. Even if there had been, it wouldn't have helped. By that time, they were on Ninth Avenue, heading for the Lincoln Tunnel.

"They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy said. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," Annabeth reminded him. "Their brains can only process what they see through the Mist.

"They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

Both girls thought thought about it.

"Hard to say. But we can't count on mortals for help. Maybe an emergency exit in the roof..." Daisy said, trailing off as they hit the Lincoln Tunnel, and the bus went dark except for the running lights down the aisle and the faint glow from Daisy's necklace.

"Oh gods," she whispered.

It was eerily quiet without the sound of the rain. Mrs Dodds got up. In a flat voice, as if she'd rehearsed it, she announced to the whole bus:

"I need to use the restroom."

"So do I," said the second sister.

"So do I," said the third sister. They all started coming down the aisle. Daisy clutched Annabeth's arm harder with one hand as the footsteps got closer, her other hand drifting towards her golden dagger and closing a fist around the hilt silently.